Chapter 11 - Preparations For The Future

"How long am I stuck here?" Vincent asked the nurse.

"If you don't make any sudden moves or actions, then you will be released tomorrow," the nurse said before leaving.

"Well, this will be boring," mumbled Vincent as he picked up a book at the side to read.

He was currently in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. He brought there by Sister An and was told that even though he was even lucky to be alive, the injury could easily be fixed.

"Apparently, a hole in the stomach is a simple matter to fix," Vincent thought, as he patted his now fixed stomach, the healing didn't even leave a scratch, "wonder what's serious then."

Sister An had brought him a large bunch of books on Vampires so he could understand more about them.

"Blessings are given by a bite to the neck, only the King has the power to create Nobles, Nobles construct their weapon with their blood, Knights can be promoted to Noble if the King finds them worthy."

"Ok, so nothing here explaining what's a King's candidate," he mumbled as he set the books aside.

"First day at Hogwarts, angering Professor Snape," a voice said, "First day back in London, getting your stomach impaled. Your one troublemaker you know Vince?"

Sister An came in holding a bag of grapes. She looked extremely tired from last night.

"Thanks for saving me Sister An," Vincent smiles as he popped a grape into his mouth.

"You wouldn't need saving if you didn't jump in front of that spear," she said sighing.

"I can't leave someone to die," Vincent said seriously, "it's not in my nature."

"Well you wouldn't be you without it," she said, "we need to talk."

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you," Vincent said as he frowned, "what's a King's candidate?"

"One that has the potential to become King of the Vampires," she said, "your actions last night must have won that Vampire's respect. Then again, saving the enemy was a really stupid idea!"

"Whatever happened to those two vampires anyway?" Vincent asked.

"The Knight was sentenced to Azkaban on the account of turning a muggle into a vampire which they managed to reverse as it had happened recently," Vincent nodded as he heard the news.

"Now back to the topic at hand," Sister An sat down, "every year or so, the king would send vampires to find a worthy candidate. Those candidates are then tested to see if they're worthy of the King's position. If they fail, they would have the option of going back to their normal lives or becoming a Noble. Not once in these thousand years has anyone passed the King's tests."

"Can I ask what exactly these tests are?" Vincent asked curiously.

"Who knows, the history has not recorded any of these tests," she shrugged, "it could be that the King makes it up on the spot."

"So why did they reveal themselves last night?" Vincent frowned.

"Must have been a disagreement of sorts," Sister An said, "vampires don't usually just attack anyone, much less make a peasant out of a random muggle. Vampires are prideful creatures, they would only give the Blessing those they consider worthy. That Knight last night had broken several laws and has been given the appropriate punishment because of this."

"And Axel?"

"That Noble was strange," she said, "he was probably in the middle of tracking that Knight down, so..."