20 ; moaning myrtle's bathroom ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 20

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

For a few days, the school could talk of little else but the attack on Mrs. Norris. Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked, as though he thought the attacker might come back. Y/N had seen him scrubbing the message on the wall with Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover the day after she had been discharged from the Hospital Wing, but to no effect; the words still gleamed as brightly as ever on the stone. When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was skulking red-eyed through the corridors, lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like "breathing loudly" and "looking happy".

Ginny Weasley seemed very disturbed by Mrs. Norris's fate. According to Ron, she was a great cat lover, but Ginny had told Y/N she had preferred dogs over cats. So why was she acting all suspicious?

The attack had also had an effect on Hermione and Y/N. They were in the library in all of their free time, researching everything relating to what the attack had to offer. From 'petrification' to 'voices', they searched every crevice of the library for anything, but all of the copies that had anything to do with Hogwarts: A History had been checked out, and there was a two-month waiting list.

The following Wednesday, everyone was in the library except for Harry, who'd been held back in Potions, according to Ron and Hermione. Ron was measuring his History of Magic homework (a three-foot-long composition on "The Medieval Assembly of European Wizards.") and Theodore, Blaise, and Daphne were helping Hermione and Y/N look for anything on the Chamber of Secrets. Harry soon came in and sat at the table with Ron, panting.

"I don't believe it, I'm still eight inches short. . . ." said Ron furiously. "And Hermione's done four feet seven inches and her writing's tiny."

"Where is she?" Harry asked.

"Somewhere over there," said Ron. "They're all looking for books. I think they're trying to read the whole library before Christmas."

Y/N tuned out of their conversation. She was missing something, she just knew it, but what? She huffed and joined Ron and Harry, pulling all of her books out of her bag, looking at their titles: 

The Standard Book of Spells, grade 2, Break with a Banshee, Gadding with Ghouls, Holidays with Hags, Travels with Trolls, Voyages with Vampires, Wanderings with Werewolves, Year with the Yeti, The Ultimate Book of Potions, Elixirs, and Concoctions . . .