Scars (Part 2)

Well this chapter was supposed to be a little sad—
Then I listened to A Thousand Years and we're going big boy sad times

Word Count: 2630

Summary:

They've been friends for 6,000 years.
They've been lovers longer.

***

Raphael looked out across the field before him.
No waking life stirred. Only the grass and trees.
It was beautiful.

He blinked.

When he opened his eyes there was nothing but mass destructions.

Human beings.
A species that wouldn't exist for another few hundred years.

They screamed, attacking one another, turning the once blue sky to various shades of gray, crying out in hunger, watching each other die.

Raphael reached out to help them, nearly touching a young boy, no older than five, who struggled towards the archangel.
Just before he could grasp the young one's hand, the vision disappeared with another blink and Raphael was back to sitting in the field, gold-flecked eyes round with grief.

Even after seeing all the damage that the humans had brought forth—
He loved them.
For it wasn't their plan to kill themselves off, but the Ineffable Plan.
God's ineffable plan.

"Why..." Raphael murmured, looking up towards the starry sky, eyes darting from one star to the next, his own creations, "Why do they have to suffer like that? Can't you just...save them? Why are you making them suffer?"

A bright light formed before the angel who paused before bowing his head and wings, "Lord."

The mass of light did not respond but simply sat before the angel.

Raphael was now quiet.
Another blink and he saw it again, quickly blinking the vision away with a gasp, "Why?""

"They have to be tested." The feminine voice murmured.

"Tested? To their inevitable dooms?" Raphael scoffed.

"You question my judgment?" The voice murmured.

Raphael fell silent.

The brilliant light shone, flooding the fields with its shine.

"It's beautiful." Raphael sighed, "Earth..."

"Earth..." The sum of light repeated before retreating back towards the heavens, "Protect them, Raphael, they will be the people of you and yours." There was a flicker and the light disappeared.

"Me and...mine..." Raphael repeated in his own terms, drawing his knees, adorn in white robes, to his chest and resting his head on them.

There was a rustling from the bushes and out came a stout looking angel, moving to sit beside Raphael.

"Truly magnificent, really." The angel beside Raphael grinned, "Who were you speaking with?"

"The almighty." Raphael said this as casually as if a relative had just had a word with him.

The angel's eyes grew wide, "The almighty? What was- what was it like?"

"The usual." Raphael shrugged.

"Oh my...what's the usual?"

"You ask a lot of questions for an angel." Raphael sighed.

"Says you." The angel smiled.

"You're a wonder, Angel, you know that?" Raphael smirked.

"Oh please, Aziraphale, A z i r a p h a l e, please do call me by my given name...Angel seems too...broad..."