21. crimson

it was december, a year ago, and snowflakes were gently fluttering around seoul. it was jungkook's dad's yearly christmas party.

jungkook smiled in a booth surrounded by his dad and with his arm around a girl. his hair was freshly trimmed and sleek. he raised his glass of alcoholic beverage when he recognized kim namjoon entering the lounge that smelt of cinnamon candles and rum.

jungkook was only seventeen.

namjoon watched as jungkook's dad stood up and made his way through the tables and up to the small stage with red crushed velvet curtains and dim light. he looked like he could be jungkook's older brother, not his father. he grinned handsomely in his jet black matching father-son versace suit, the jeon trademark. jungkook was glowing from the inside out with pride.

"time is short," his dad began to speak. "i can't be here forever and it is time that i retire. though i have passed my legacy onto my son, he is too young to take on the pressures of my role. so, with careful consideration, i have chosen my heir."

namjoon reclined into the padded leather seat, definite of the next three syllables to come out of his boss' mouth.

"jung hoseok."

namjoon's eyebrows shot up.

"you," he looked over at jungkook, whose eyes were alight with happiness with a bunny toothed smile as he clapped enthusiastically. when they met eyes, his excitement disappeared. his smile faded and he suddenly looked worried.

namjoon cleared his throat and started walking towards jungkook.

on the other side of the room, a giddy hoseok was running up to the stage and saying his acceptance speech. "with great honour and respect, i accept this role and the responsibilities that come with it-"

"of course you would set me up like this," namjoon said, his proud face going dark as choked jungkook with the collar of his dress shirt. "you set me up like you set everyone up, you fucking daddy's boy."

without hesitation, namjoon punched jungkook hard, his fist colliding and engagement ring digging into jungkook's plush cheek. crimson ribbons trailed past his chin as blood pooled in his mouth as it threatened to pour out of his lips.

the room went silent. business associates and guests turned their heads at namjoon's loud voice. hoseok's eyes were watering as he covered his mouth in shock. everyone's eyes were on them.

jungkook's date started crying and putting pressure on the injury with napkins as his head lolled back. his breath was heavy. his brown eyes narrowed as he desperately looked over to the stage for his dads approving gaze. begging for sympathy.

jungkook's dad just gave him the look.

the "you asked for it" look.

the "its family business" look.

the "take it" look.

it felt like his heart stopped beating. his face throbbed. he felt like dying right there.

namjoon stood still, and then after he figured he was pleased with the amount pain he inflicted, he smiled and walked away.

that was the night jungkook decided that he hated his job.

namjoon shoved his coat over his suit sleeves and stormed out of the lounge to the back alley, dimly lit by a red "exit" sign, lighting a cigar and blowing out cold smoke.

namjoon ran his hand through his slicked back bleached blonde hair and exhaled. of course jungkook set him up.

when they got home, jungkook's dad didn't even say anything to him. he just nodded.

jungkook stood panting in the dim hallway in his tuxedo pants and a t-shirt, a third of his face caked with drying blood and unforgiveable bruises.

"go clean your face," his dad said upon seeing him. "you look like a goddamn wreck."