【01】Welcome to Kelex

Standing out like a boner at a pool party isn't something you'd want on your first day of work

That truth came to me as I was rushing into the building, surrounded by somber-looking business men and women around me. But this was a programming job, so this might pass, right? Maybe not having enough common sense to dress properly on my first day wouldn't get me fired. At my old workplace, every day was casual Friday. It only dawned upon me now that I may have mistakenly assumed it would be the same here.

Seriously, way to go. They are going to fire you before you even reach your desk.

Surrounded by all those very serious, very professional people, I felt like a teenager again. Just like my first day of high school, I was lost, underdressed, and had no idea where to go. The only information I had was that I needed to go to the twenty-seventh floor, so I let myself be guided by the flow of lawyers, traders, and other suit-wearing people walking into the lobby.

There was a list of the different companies that occupied the building, engraved in gold letters on a massive marble board on one of the walls. There must have been around fifty names on it. Out of pride, I tried to find my new company, Kelex, as I walked along with the flow of people. Before I could get the chance, the panel was out of sight.

When I reached the elevator lobby, I rushed to one of the eight possibilities, making the smart choice of picking one that wasn't too far away from the ground floor. From here to the second sublevel, it couldn't take long to arrive. Apparently, I wasn't the only pragmatic person here, as many people soon joined me in my wait for the doors to open.

The stainless steel panels parted with an elegant 'ding', and everyone rushed into it at once. Since I was on the front line, I was unceremoniously pushed inside, having barely had the time to glimpse at the few people already in there. Miraculously, I managed to press on the button for my floor before being shoved further into the confined space.

Claustrophobia wasn't an issue for me, but I'd seen my fair share of horror movies. I knew what happened when an elevator malfunctioned, and it didn't seem like this many people were supposed to fit in here.

As the angry mob behind kept pushing me in, I was forced to look up at the man I was about to bump into.

Oh, shit.

He was hot.

Like, damn...

Before I could properly take in his features, other than the intense eyes, the square jaw, and the dark hair and stubble, I collided with him, a rude elbow pushing me onto the man. Goddamn, that was one muscular chest.

"Sorry," I mumbled, quickly glimpsing up at him. He didn't even bother looking down, apparently used to the elevators being hell on earth.

My sex drive had never been off the charts. Quite the opposite. For most of my life, I'd wondered if I was normal. While the rest of the world seemed to put it at the center of everything, I'd always considered sex to be a relatively enjoyable moment with someone I relatively enjoyed. Not this big thing that ruled and ruined so many people's lives. I'd never, in my entire existence, been attracted to someone at first sight. It wasn't me. I didn't do this.