Chapter 26

"So your mother tells me you have your first date coming up this weekend" Karl asks genuinely interested, not knowing that Liam here, opposite me, is my ex. He's just turned, unknowingly, my evening at least, into a nightmare. I glanced briefly in Liam's direction and our eyes lock, his eyes were cold as they bore into mine, giving me cold chills, definitely not the pleasant kind that he used to give me. I quickly shy away from his intense yet cold stare and give Karl a nod. "Yes, well it's not that big of a deal, really" I reply politely, but inside I'm begging for him to not enquire further.

"Of course it's a big deal Nick!" Sydney interjects loudly and enthusiastically while looking at me and giving me a wink. I know what she's doing, she's trying to wind Liam up. Girl tonight is not the night to be doing that, not mum's night, I beg silently hoping that the desperate look I'm giving her will make her rethink what's she's about to do, but of course it doesn't. "And after dinner we are going to choose the perfect outfit for her, something irresistible" Sydney adds and although I'm not looking at him, I can feel daggers shooting across the table hitting me and making me feel extremely uncomfortable.

"Um, actually I was going to keep it simple, nothing extravagant and besides we are just friends and there is no need for me to dress up" I laugh uncomfortably, taking immediately after a swig of my water, to steady my nerves. I want to minimise this event as much as possible, that everyone seems intent on making a big deal out of but it's proving to be harder than I thought. I stare back again at my friend, my eyes wide probably about to pop out from it's sockets, my lips in a thin line and a slight nudge my head to the side, in the direction of my ex. I want her to stop what's she's doing and if this isn't hint enough, I honestly don't know what else to do. "Oh I though he was your first boyfriend and he was taking you out on your fist date" Karl says surprised. For the love of god people can we please talk about something else?

"Oh no sir, her ex was her first and he was a real piece of work. Good thing she dumped his sorry ass! Oh excuse my french!" My insensitive friend says loudly and deliberately might I add. She covers her mouth smiling shyly at her last outburst, then flapping her long eyelashes she makes herself look innocent. My mother looks uncomfortable, Karl just doesn't know what's going on, my brother Travis coughs while calling her a slut, which everyone heard but pretended not to, Derick just carries on stuffing his face not interested in interacting with anyone and ignoring everything around him, which again is rather concerning, and finally Liam, whom I don't dare to look at. Someone kill me now!

"Did your ex mistreat you?" Karl asks worriedly and it's starting to really annoy me how nosy this guy is being. Can't he tell how uncomfortable this line of questioning is making me? Is he that dumb? Mum I'm seriously questioning your taste in men, I think to myself. "Oh yeah, he che..." I slam my hand over Sydney's mouth before she even finishes that sentence. "No, he's not that bad, just has trust issues and can't be trusted either, that's all. Can we now please change the subject?"  I ask firmly, with a hint of anger, which I'm trying my best to hold back.

"Who want's desert?" Mum jumps in trying to change the subject as I wished, diverting all attention to her. "I'll come and help you" Karl says clearly wanting a few minutes of alone time with her, which leaves just us five. The moment the two adults leave the room, closing the door behind them, Liam opens his mouth venomously.

"Whats your fucking problem?" He whisper shouts to my friend. "Nothing, do I look like I have a problem? Or are you just paranoid?" She snaps back with a smirk plastered on her face. "Little girl, if you want to play games with me, I'll play, but just remember who you're playing with!" Liam bites back with a smirk of his own. "Geez, lets all play this bitch has it coming!" Travis joins in giving my friend a dirty look. He used to like her, dumped her because of this twit and now treats her like this. I know she's been a bit out of order tonight, but I won't let them hurt her. "That's enough! It's mum's evening and none of you are going to ruin it for her!" I shout. The two boys just scoff at me, ignoring my statement and I'm beginning to get really mad. "If either one of you, ruins this for mum, there will be hell to pay, mark my words!" I threaten.