FIVE: MISSING LIFEGUARD

Chapter 5: missing lifeguard
"When there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna call?"

Chapter 5: missing lifeguard"When there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna call?"

The next day Max, Eve and El set out to Max's house in search of Billy to see what had happened. El knew something was wrong, but Eve and Max were doubtful. El had described screams, and they knew screams could go two ways. El did not.

Clouds covered the sky, making the day darker as they walked. Eve had felt bad all day, something was wrong and she knew it, but she didn't wanna say anything.

"It's gonna start pouring soon," Max said to the two girls as they walked down Old Cherry Road, "We should be at the mall or, like, watching a movie or something."

"You don't believe me?" El asked Max, her face dropping.

"I believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally," Max told the girl as they turned a corner, "but you said Mike has sensed you in there before, right? So maybe it was just like that. Maybe Billy just sensed you somehow."

Eve couldn't shake off the bad feeling she was getting as she looked down at her hands.

Mist.

"Shit," She mumbled to herself as she hid her hands in her pocket.

"But the screams," El argued, still confused on the whole situation.

"Yeah, I know, but here's the thing," Max began, trying to explain what the screams were without giving the birds and the bees talk, "When Billy is alone with a girl, they make, like, really crazy noises."

"They scream?" El asked, confused.

"Yeah, but, like happy screams," Max tried to explain.

"Happy screams? What is happy screams?" El asked, getting more and more confused by the second.

"It's like..." Max stopped, she couldn't just outright say sex, "I'm just gonna lend you my mom's Cosmo."

"Eve. Are you okay?" El asked, noticing that Eve hadn't spoken the entirety of the way there. Eve ignored El, staring at the grass as they walked, "Eve?"

"Eve?" Max then said, grabbing Eve's arm. Eve looked up at her girlfriend, "you okay?"

"Yeah," Eve fake smiled.

"Friends don't lie," El said, looking at Eve with concern.

"I'm fine," She repeated as she walked faster, changing the subject as they reached the house, "His car's not here."