16

FAY

   There has to be an end to this madness. we weren't Infront of grandma anymore but he was still acting really nice to me. Why was he trying to mess with my brain like this? What are his motives? Why did he just change overnight? Or was Karen right?

All these questions were making my head ache, and I needed him to come clean, I needed to know if this was some game to him. I needed to let him know that if he was just acting, he was digging a big hole in preparations to burying his relationship with his family.

He opened the door to his car for me as he stepped aside, waiting for me to go into the car. But all I did was stare at him... More like gave him a pointed look to his very innocent face.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him, crossing my arms to my chest as I awaited his reply.

He raised a brow in inquiry. "What are you talking about? You don't want me opening doors for you?" He asked, looking confused.

I sighed frustratedly, angrily shutting the door, leaving him shocked. "You know damn well what I'm talking about." I gritted. "You can't just pretend to be okay with us, to be- to be nice to me or to be sorry for what happened at the Brunch. You shouldn't be lying to Grandma or your brothers-"

"Who says I'm lying?" He asked calmly. This was usually the time he'd get angry and flare up at me.

I scoffed. "It's pretty obvious that you're lying, El. You don't just go around apologizing to people, that's just not your setting."

"What's so hard to believe about that? I've changed Fay," he took a step closer to me, placing both his hands on my arms, pulling me closer to him. "I want to make us work... Why do you find that hard to believe?" He asked, softer this time.

I got lost in his eyes for a moment but immediately, I wrenched his hands off my arm as I took a step back. I cleared my surprisingly dry throat. "I find it hard to believe because just three days ago you made it clear to me that you hated my guts."

"That was three days ago, Fay. If someone had told me that I was three days away to discovering that you are more important to me than I can ever imagine, I wouldn't have even believed it... but here we are Fay, let's start afresh."

Is this happening? Is Elroy honestly saying these things? He looked sincere, his eyes said it all. But I still couldn't bring myself to believe him, I still couldn't let myself fall into his awaiting trap.

"I don't believe you. You managed to make everyone believe you but- I'm honestly not convinced. Not even one bit." I said to him.

He raked his fingers through his hair. "Fay, like I said before, I honestly don't expect you to believe me.... For years I've treated you badly, and it's totally normal for you to think that I have some motive in all this... But think about it? What could I possibly gain by hurting my grandma? Or lying to my brother and ruining my relationship with my family?" He asked. "I would never risk hurting my grandma for some stupid selfish act."

I gave a half laugh. "You didn't think about that before going ahead to ruin the brunch, did you?" I asked him.

"That was before, okay. I had never been so close to losing everything  that I cared about because of my foolishness. Now that I have gotten a glimpse of that, I'm trying to change."