•smoochy love songs•

Ellie could punch whoever knocked on the door at this perilous moment.

As far as she was concerned, they could wait 'til tomorrow to get punched because Daniel was looking at her with soft eyes, waiting for her to respond to what he'd just said and she didn't know how to respond.

Half of her wanted to give in to him one hundred percent.

The other half reminded her of the list she'd made of all the reasons why she needed to forget him.

The thumping kept going, loud enough for everyone else in the hotel to hear too.

"Leave it," Daniel mumbled as he gripped her hands, and drew her to him, his eyes searching her face for some kind of response.

Whilst she was reluctant to remove her hands from his, Ellie worried it could be something urgent.

Also, it gave her a chance to escape his intense gaze and think things through. "I should get it."

Slipping his hands from hers, Daniel ran his fingers through his almost-dry hair, mussing it up into golden tufts.

Ellie stood, tightening the fold of her towel around her chest, sensing a gaping separation between them. Before she opened the door, she turned to Daniel, who had started to flip through her notebook. "Should you ... hide ... maybe?"

Daniel responded with a raised eyebrow and a wry grin.

The knocks got heavier.

Opening the door a crack, Ellie saw Kim, dressed in a loose shirt and shorts over her bathers; sunglasses on her head, waiting in the corridor

"So," Kim pondered with her finger to her chin as she surveyed Ellie up and down, "there's been some discussion around the pool that both our lead singers are missing."

"Oh?" Ellie closed the door a little more and peeped at Kim through the crack. "No. I ... I'm alone. All alone. Just writing my song."

Kim dropped her shoulders and sighed. "Yeah. I knew it. I told Meg not to start any rumours." She looked at Ellie's untidy hair and down at her towel. "Had a shower?"

"Yeah. Yep."

"Feeling better? You acted kind of weird—"

"I'm fine."

"Can I ..." Kim peered over Ellie's shoulder. "Can I come in?"

"Uh ... I'm right in the thick of the last verse and was ... going to head straight to bed ... "

Kim gave Ellie a sorrowful smile. "Jetlag's a bastard, huh?" She took a step closer to the door and pushed her face near to the crack, whispering. "Meg and James are ... kind of ... well, let's just say I sense there's gonna be trouble." She put her finger up to her lips. "Don't tell Meg I said anything. Anyway, she's gone to hang out with the Glue guys. Apparently Gav's got some really good"—she lowered her voice to a hush— "weed. Then they're going clubbing."

"Okay. Well, look after each other ..."

"Oh. I'm not going—"

"But ..." Ellie frowned and searched Kim's face. "Why not?"

"I was thinking about what you said at the pool ... and wanted to tell you ..." Kim stepped forward, and picked at the door frame. "Well, you work so hard. All the time. For us. And I really appreciate it. Meg does too."

Ellie tightened her grip on the door, the guilt sinking in. "We all work hard, Kimmie."

"And, those distractions," Kim continued, "I get what you mean, and you're right. You and me need to focus on the Jessie shit. That's all we need to do. And it's not fair on you if I go partying with Megsy when you're working. I know you don't want to be on tour with Glue so the least I can do is help you get through the next few days so we can enjoy your birthday. Like you said, we're family. We have to stick together—"