o n e

TW: This book includes violence, drugs, and domestic abuse. Please read with caution.

Melissa's POV

"One, two, three, four" I said to myself as I poured an ounce of vodka over the ice

"One, two, three, four" I said to myself as I poured an ounce of vodka over the ice. Topping it off with cranberry juice, I took a straw and mixed the concoction before handing it over to Leila; the bar girl. "Looks strong to me!" She said as she took the drink. I laughed and started replenishing the ice bucket. I was the bartender for the night at this nightclub called TRUTH. I've been here a little over a year and I absolutely love it. Since I'm done with school, I work here some nights just for some extra cash whenever I'm planning a getaway.

"Can I get a Coke & Hen?" a man said walking up to the counter. "Drinking on the job tonight Dre?" I said as I grabbed a glass and filled it with ice. "Mel it's crazy tonight. You do realize that Drake is up in VIP right now, right?" Dre said with emphasis. "Dre, don't be so dramatic, it's just Drake" I said as I poured the Hennessy over Coca Cola. "Hold the straw, but you're also not the one having to hold these bitches back tonight and re-directing them downstairs AWAY from Drake either" he said taking a sip. I rolled my eyes, "And that is why I'm back here making the drinks, and you're up there" I said with a chuckle. "You just better make these hoes right tonight, he's bringing in a lot of revenue for us, all this publicity the club is getting" Dre said in a stern tone. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, just don't let James see you drinking while you're on the clock" I said fanning him off. Dre winked at me before getting up from the barstool.

Dre was James' right-hand man. Dre was the accountant, planner, and sometimes bouncer of the club if need be. Whenever James' was out on business, we all fell under Dre's command. Word on the street is, Dre's also slanging in these streets, if he's not selling, he's DEFINITELY making deals out here and messing with unknown territory. All I know is his wannabe Tony Montana ass needs to keep his outside business OUTSIDE of Truth. There's been a few occasions where Chi and I have witnessed Dre dapping up some "interesting" individuals which have brought in more business to Truth but has also cost us business as well. Six months ago, we were under investigation over a young woman overdosing on cocaine here in the club. I'm still surprised that James didn't fire Dre, moreover, I'm shocked that James didn't lose Truth. Rumor has it, the man who sold Truth to James, is also one of Dre's longtime customers.

Getting out of my thoughts, I noticed that we were running low on fruit to garnish the drinks. Leila, one of the bar girls was headed to the towards the bar. "Hey, Leila do you mind taking these to Jackie? I'm getting a little low on fruit" I asked. "Sure thing" she said taking the plate out of the bar and taking it to the kitchen. I grabbed a clean towel and placed it in the sink full of warm water, dish detergent and Clorox to soak so that I could start wiping down the bar a little. I was interrupted by Chi who placed empty glasses on the counter. She looked a bit frustrated, "long night?" I asked as I grabbed the glasses and placed them in the dish water to soak for a moment. "Melissa" she said rolled her eyes and leaning against the bar, "I'm so tired of Drake's entourage ordering me around like I'm some maid" Chi said pushing the hair behind her ear.