( chapter six )

( I CAN DO THIS ALL DAY )

IT HAD FELT LIKE GORDON GOT BACK, HUGGED HER FOR FIVE MINUTES, THEN WAS IMMEDIATELY LEAVING AGAIN BECAUSE HE GOT HIS ORDERS. He was going to help deal with the situation in Italy and France, which, okay, Edith had been told by Steve that it has needed some soldiers, but she missed Gordon like crazy and it was weird that he hadn't told her her hair looked like limp spaghetti in awhile. 

But, she had Steve. She sat him with while he drew, held his hand, had even fallen asleep curled up beside him on the old, second hand couch in his apartment. More things to prove how much she really loved him, because no matter how many times he sometimes couldn't watch his mouth when he started to go on a rant about the war, his Brooklyn accent emphasizing his feelings in places, she just smiled fondly at him. And when he listened to her rant about a future that they didn't even know was going to happen but hoped, she saw the sparkle in his eyes and couldn't help but basically melt because of him. 

The sky is blue, the sun shines, and Edith Rutherford loved Steve Rogers. 

Bucky was along for the ride as well, it seemed. He would always have this smirk on his lips whenever he stared at the two of them, took them dancing (or tried to) but Steve never wanted to dance because he was embarrassed or something. Edith didn't mind, she was pretty ungraceful herself and would never want to be embarrassed about that until she absolutely needed to dance with Steve. So, they sat and talked as Bucky woo'd another girl and spun her around the dance floor, his smile easy and his laugh open. 

Steve was happy for him. And Edith was happy with Steve, and she hoped he was with her too. 

"Steve," She smiled, the phone held to her ear by her shoulder as she finished sewing up on of the shirts she was meant to fix. "Are you still there?"

There was a thud on the other side of the line, Edith distantly hearing Steve curse, before the man was speaking into the phone again, "Yeah, sorry, Darling. I have some errands to run and I'm trying to get myself presentable." Edith knew what that meant. He was probably going to try and enlist again, for the fifth time. She wasn't sure if he thought things might have changed since the fourth time, but she wasn't going to try and talk him out of it. 

"We're still going to a picture show later, right?" Edith asked, tying off the stitch she had done and put the shirt to the side, starting to put away her materials. The needle got pushed into the pin cushion, the scissors and thimble going into the small box she had to put all of her tools. The pin cushion went in after once she had collected all of them. 

"Yes!" Steve said, and Edith smiled because she could hear the smile in his voice. They talked about absentminded things until Steve told Edith he had to go. Edith scared herself by hoe close I love you  had slipped out of her mouth, but was able to keep it in as Steve told her he'd be along to pick her up when he was done with everything.