ELEVEN

while everyone was outside in the shed preparing, caroline sat next to the redhead who was in a state of shock.

caroline could hardly even bare the thought that her name was nicole granger, to her it sounded fake. it sounded like a pen name you put on those books you write for fun or on your school notes so the teacher doesn't find out you were the one who passed the letter to the girl across the class.

nicole granger or caroline harrington

she was at a crossroads on which name she felt was more her

as nicole granger, she had her parents who tried their best to protect her. until dr brenner took her and made her his own, made her his own experiment, giving her the title of 004. then steve came along that cold night she escaped the laboratory, he called her caroline. and from then on she felt truly at home, truly at home with steve.

"i cant believe this shit. you're such a badass" max chuckled as she squeezed her best friends left hand

•••

"okay, care, im gonna take will" the oldest byers boy said, walking into the house with a soft smile

"okay, do you have any meds? for pain?" caroline replied, standing up from her chair in the kitchen and holding her side

"oh, yeah, for sure. let me grab them for you"

jonathan byers came back with a bottle of medicine in his left hand and a glass of water in the right. he handed them to her softly, being careful to not hurt her previously injured wrist

"so, basically, my possessed brother sprained your wrist, and a demodog sliced your hip open" the byers boy said with a chuckle

"yeah, it's totally, totally tubular" she said with a giggle, watching as jonathan picked up his little brother from the couch,  giving her a small laugh.

"i'm glad you're safe" he smiled, exiting the room

•••

from inside the house, everyone who wasn't in the shed with will sat around the kitchen table, reading caroline's file

"so your real name is, nicole granger?" nancy wheeler asked, passing the file back to max

"yeah i guess" caroline stuttered with a shrug

a tear ran down steve's cheek as the truth settled in that she probably wasn't going to keep the name caroline harrington. that was his sister, he helped nourish and build her back up. nicole didn't feel right, but if it's she wanted, he'd be more than okay with it.

"i can call you nicole" steve smiled, placing his arm around her waist, careful not to hurt her injury.

"no, i may not have originally been caroline, but that name is from you. that name is from my brother. the name, caroline harrington, it came right from your mind, steve. you're my family now, i'm never not gonna be caroline harrington" the girl sniffled, looking at her brother with the green eyes he'd found comfort in since day one.

the two siblings exchanged in a warm hug, leaving the rest of the members inside the house to question the relationship with their siblings. especially maxine.