7. Secrets and Vampires

"Could you have been anymore rude?" Zeke scolds as he runs down his front steps toward me.

  It is late and I am surprised to see him, was he waiting for me? For a moment I am distracted with the thought of this possibility, so it takes a moment for his words to sink in. When they do, I know I am in trouble.

  "I'm-"

  "No Reza, seriously!" Zeke interrupts me. "I thought we talked about working on this! You can't just push everyone a way!" He is not yelling, but his voice is stern and unwavering.

  I know I was rude to Leo, and I know that's exactly what he is talking about.

  "I-" Before I am able to say anything he interrupts me once again.

  "He is a great guy and you just-"

  "I'm sorry!" I yell, interrupting him this time.

  "Really?" he breathes out the word, looking shocked. Seems he was gearing up for a battle.

  "Well yea, I know I was mean and I shouldn't have been" I cross my arms over my body feeling vulnerable.

  Zeke and I almost never fight, but since school has started we seem to be doing it much more often.

  "Oh" he says so simply. Letting out a big breath of air he shifts uncomfortably before me. "To be honest I was kind of expecting you to yell back at me" he averts his eyes, avoiding looking at me.

  "Of course not" I blow off the idea, not admitting that was exactly my plan before my time in the woods.

  "I just, I don't know. You were so irritated at school. It wasn't like I invited him just to upset you. But, I thought maybe you would be mad at me for it anyways." He speaks quickly, like if he doesn't get it all out I may change my mind and get angry after all.

  Without thinking I wrap my arms around him tightly.

  "No silly, I know you were just trying to help me make more friends. I'm just a loser who doesn't always think" I can physically feel his body become more relaxed, more like himself.

  "Yea your right, you are a pretty big loser" he teases as he returns my hug tightly.

  I pull away from him with mock hurt and slap him playfully on the arm. He laughs, which cuts right through my fake anger, and I burst out laughing as well.

  "So anyways, want to stay at my place tonight?" He takes my hand and leads me toward his house before I even have a chance to answer.

  I glance back at my place to see Dad's car in the driveway. Already I feel emotionally drained from today, I don't need to deal with any of that.

  "Mom not going to mind me staying over on a Thursday?"

  "She never does, plus she is already in bed"

  "Is it really that late?" Leo and I had a strange bonding moment, and apparently we completely lost track of time.

  Other than speaking about our parents we really didn't do anymore of the heart to heart stuff, but still feels like we are a bit closer. Don't know if I would say we are good friends or anything yet, but it's a step.

  "Yea, I've been watching out the window all night. Where were you anyways?" he asks as he holds open the door for me.

  "Actually, I've been hanging out with Leo" I am rather proud of this for I know it will be a big surprise for him.