it has to be you | billy hargrove

*contains season three spoilers. read at your own risk*

"there's no other way around it," steve had his hands on his hips. he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

you were fighting back tears as you looked at everyone else. you stared at max and she had the same distraught expression. "no, i can't. i-i no! i won't do it."

they were asking too much of you. a weight on your shoulders that you couldn't bear. not when it had to do with him. not when it had to do with hurting the boy you loved.

"y/n, there's no other way. he's killing everyone in hawkins!" nancy yelled though she seemed just as upset with the idea as you were.

"it's not him! you know it isn't him. i'm not going to do it." you shook your head. no way.

"y/n!"

"ENOUGH!" you yelled. subconsciously you had picked up every item in the room. you watched as your friends looked at you with slight fear in their eyes. you back away slowly. you let everything fall back. you hit a wall with your back, the door.

"y/n. wait," steve sighed, but you were already out of the house.

you walked away quickly, hiding in the shadows of the trees as they each stumbled out of the door. the first one was max, she was crying. she disappeared right before everyone else exited the house.

"we have to understand how difficult this is for her," nancy told the group. 

"well, she has to understand that this isn't a matter of just one person. this has to do with saving all of hawkins, all of the world." steve replied. 

mike just stared at steve and slumped his shoulders. the others also looked at steve, not contradicting him.

you decided to leave before you become even angrier.

days passed since that argument with everyone. since then, so many things have escalated. you were at starcourt mall now, having the most intense battle of your life.

you were deeply hoping that he wouldn't show up. everyone was fighting the mind flayer, finding ways to hurt it.

finally, billy walked between the legs of it. he was covered in dark veins, he was staring directly at you. however, it wasn't him. you gulped as he neared you.

"billy," you muttered. you wanted him to desperately recognize you and break free of the mind flayer's grip.

he continued to walk towards you. you knew that he wasn't nearing you for another kiss or a hug. no, there was murder in his eyes.

you didn't know when you started crying, but you tasted the saltiness of your tears in your mouth. "billy, please."

you slowly backed away creating more space between the two of you.

"it has to be you!" steve yelled as he threw another firework at the mind flayer. you knew that that was directed at you.

"billy! it's me. it's y/n. stop this right now! fight it, please." you looked behind you quickly to make sure you didn't hit anything as you backed away from billy.

nothing seemed to change in his facial expression.

"billy, you can fight this. i know you can," you continued. you stopped backing away. instead, you approached him.

you caressed his cheek. "billy, baby, please. stop this. you don't want to—" he pushed you to the ground before you could say anything else. his eyes were now on the verge of tears, yet no words came from him.

you coughed. the wind had been knocked out of you. you clutched your stomach at took deep breaths. "billy," you choked out.

it has to be you.

you choked back tears as you slowly raised your hand, with your body still on the ground. you hesitated to do anything though, you couldn't bring yourself to hurt him. you would rather die than lay a finger on him. you closed your eyes and moved your head to the right.

"it's okay," you heard finally. you looked up and there were tears falling from his eyes. he was biting his lip to hold back anything else. he nodded his head. "it's okay," he repeated.

you continued to cry. you hated this. you hated this so much and you would hate yourself forever. you finally felt a pressure as you used your ability.

billy closed his eyes, tears still falling. you closed your hands into a fist and his body fell to the floor.

you fainted . . . not ready to wake up and have to live with what you had done.