Chapter Thirty-nine

Luke's P.O.V

Chloe texted me the notes later that night like she said she would, and I thanked her for it. I couldn't help but think about what happened earlier. I didn't think Chloe had seen Jess kiss me the night of the Halloween party, and I wondered why she didn't approach me afterwards. Maybe she felt too awkward and thought that I wouldn't want to hang out with her after Jess kissed me. My mind then thought about what Jess said about Chloe liking me but went with Kason instead thinking I liked Jess.

I sighed and turned over on my side as I laid in bed with my head resting on my arm. I still didn't understand it all. Part of me wanted to believe Jess but the other part thought it was impossible. Chloe was with Kason, and I couldn't do anything about it. If she truly liked me then why did she go with Kason?

Just stop thinking about it, Luke, I told myself. There really wasn't a point anymore. Even if it was true there was nothing I could do about it. Besides, it would just be flat-out cruel to Kason. I wasn't like Jess who would try to steal someone's partner. I wasn't a homewrecker.

I squeezed my eyes shut. I wanted to go to sleep but my body and mind wouldn't let me. After thirty minutes of trying to go to sleep, I gave up and walked inside the living room.

Jacob was sitting on the couch with his headset on while playing Call of Duty. He glanced in my direction and pulled his headset off.

"What are you doing up? It's past midnight," he said, his expression concerned. "You're usually not up around this time."

"I can't sleep," I said and shoved my hands in my pajama pants pockets. "Mind if I join you?"

He smiled. "Of course, you can," he said and tossed an Xbox controller at me.

I caught it with ease, grateful that I had fast reflexes.

"So, what's the reason you can't sleep?" he asked as we joined a game.

"You probably know why," I said as I played the game. My character successfully shot one of our enemies before dying to a grenade.

"Are you depressed about the whole Chloe and Kason thing?" he asked. It sounded more like a statement than a question.

"I wouldn't say depressed," I said. "It's more like disappointed more than anything."

"I just don't understand how you could get so worked up over a girl," Jacob said as he frantically pushed down on his controller and swiveled the joystick. "Chloe's not worth it–no girl is worth it."

"You only say that because you haven't found the right one," I muttered glumly as my character in the game died again.

Jacob shrugged. "Guess not."

"Speaking of girls not being worth it, I found out today that you slept with Jess," I cocked my eyebrow.

Jacob laughed a little. "Oh, so she told you that?"

"And she told me that she knew I liked Chloe," I said as I shot an enemy player.

"Well fuck. I swear I didn't tell her, man. I swear over my drunk dad's body that I didn't tell her. She was being nosy and took my phone–"

"Yeah she told me that, too."

I heard Jacob sigh of relief. "Look man, you know I would never do anything to hurt you. I hope you know that."

"I know," I smiled. "What are best friends for if they only stab you in the back?"

"Shit," he answered, and we laughed.