Hot Chocolate with Guests

“Will she be okay?” Emma whispered. Clary could hear her in her subconscious mind.

“How would you feel if one of your family members basically got murdered?” James asked. Clary heard Emma make a small chocking sound.

“James, you idiot!” Jules shouted.

Clary’s eyes shot open. She looked to her side and saw Jules with his arm round Emma with a look of pure anger on his face and James leant up against the wall looking casual. She immediately got out of bed not waiting for a wave of dizziness to pass over her. The three of them looked over at her and she walked over to where James was leaning.

“How dare you say that to her! Do you know what she’s had to deal with? No don’t even answer that because don’t and you never will know. If you ever say anything like that again I won’t be stabbing you in the arm.” Clary spat.

“That’s where you’re wrong Miss Morgenstern, I do know what Emma is and has gone through.” James pointed out.

“No you don’t,” Jules spoke up planting himself beside Clary. “She’s twelve, you’re seventeen James. Do you not understand that? Because I swear by the Angel if you don’t get that through your head I’ll do it for you.”

“Julian.” James said shocked.

“It’s Jules! By the Angel, it’s Jules! No one calls me Julian, okay?” Jules shouted.

“Are you just going to stand there and let him speak to me like that?” James asked looking at Clary.

“He isn’t my responsibility.” She smirked.

“Fine then.” James answered and pushed past Clary and Jules. He stormed out the room mumbling to himself.

Clary turned around and Jules was tracing his finger along Emma’s arm. It looked like he was writing something in invisible ink. Emma did it back once Jules had finished. It was a moment that Clary didn’t really want to intrude on. It seemed like it was so special and precious to the both of them that no one else was allowed to see it. Once they had finished they just stared at each other.

“Did you want some hot chocolate?” Clary asked.

“Um yeah okay.” Emma whispered.

“Okay, come on.” Clary answered. As the three of them walked out of the infirmary Jace was about to walk in.

“Clary, what are you doing up? You should be in bed? Wait, where are you going? Why did James just storm past me mumbling to himself? Did he say anything to you?” Jace asked.

“No Jace, he didn’t say anything to me and I’m fine. We were just going to get some hot chocolate.” Clary answered.

“You shouldn’t be up love, wait until whoever Magnus has called comes and if they say you can get up, you can.” Jace said lightly grabbing Clary’s arm.

“Jace, I’m not going to just sit round until Magnus’ friend comes, okay? I’m going to get on with my life. It isn’t that big of a deal; I fainted, so what?”

“So what? Clary what if you’re sick?” Jace asked in a whispered tone.

“If I am I’ll lie in bed to your hearts content but I haven’t been told by anyone that I’m sick so I’m going to go make hot chocolate. If you want to join us you can but don’t stop me from living a mundane life.” Clary answered.

“Clary you’re not a mundane though, none of us are. We’re Shadowhunters! We hunt demons for a living! When a mundane faints for no apparent reason it’s put down to stress but when a Shadowhunter faints for no apparent reason it’s looked at seriously.”