Chapter 42- Solo

Marinette gasped as her head smacked against the floor. For a second, she wasn't sure if she could process what just happened. But then she could smell the blonde's shampoo... and the thought of the precious seconds' occurences made her want to scream. Adrien, now on top of her, flushed darkly as he pushed himself up.

Another boom sounded and Adrien ducked back down to cover Marinette with his body as debris fell from the ceiling. Something drastic was happening, but the first thing on Mari's mind was Adrien's body completely against hers. But there was no time to be embarrassed! What could have shaken the mansion so much that the ceiling was caving in?

Instinctively, Adrien rolled off of her and helped the girl to her feet. He pushed her behind him as the door burst open.

"M. Adrien!" One of the maids shouted. "We must take you to the safe room at once! There's an akuma!"

Both teenagers eyes widened and they rushed to the window without permission. Smoke was coming out of a few buildings and every so often cars came to a stop down below. It was hard to see what else was going on, but the panic that seemed to have ensued seemed more severe than usual. Maybe it was because of the lack of akumas lately?

Adrien knew he didn't have a way to help Ladybug- without Plagg he was useless. His only priority should be, as a hero, to keep others safe. And that person was-

"Marinette," The blonde boy wrapped his hand around her wrist. "We should get to safety." He swallowed, trying to decide whether to help Rena behind the scenes like last time. He wasn't going to not do anything at all though! He needed to act like the hero he was and get Marinette to safety first. Then he could worry about what to do next.

"AH!" The maids yelled out as more parts of the ceiling fell out, and one of Adrien's shelves to his bookcase collapsed, sending books flying to the floor. Suddenly, Marinette was shoved out of the way as Adrien helped her avoid a falling decoration. It crashed and broke into pieces and the girl was shocked to see how quick Adrien's reflexes were.

"Are you okay-"

The windows caved in and the glass began to shatter as pressure began to build up. With ringing ears, the maids and other workers made their way down the fancy staircase to the safe room, which was located in the basement. Yet, the same nurse was still standing there, waiting for Adrien to follow.

"M. Adrien! Now! It's dangerous!"

Pulling Marinette to his side, he rushed down the stairs as the whole mansion shook, but was stunned when the girl next to him seemed to turn in the other direction. Instead of going around the staircase and to the back where she would be safe, she faced the front door.

The black-haired girl beside him pulled her hand away lightly, a blush flowing across her cheeks at the touch of his hand. "I-I need to go find someone-" She tried to excuse herself, trying to find a way out of it like she usually did, but with being as flustered as she was, it was becoming harder and harder to focus on her duty as Ladybug. Closing her eyes and placing her hand in her purse, she felt around for Tikki and felt relief build-up when the little bug touched her owner's hand.

She's okay. Tikki's okay.

Does that mean she can transform? Did she do it?

Oh my god...

Marinette's face lit up red and Adrien for once could actually see the girl's face turn redder than normal and grew concerned.