LXXXVII

I saw the world a couple times, tried to cure the ache with absence
But that hole was still a hole and my mind kept playing tricks on me
Feeling older every day, took everything I had to not crash and burn
~ Asking Alexandria, Alone in a Room

Avril's POV

"This will be the first time I've seen them perform since they joined the record label." I turn my head slightly to look at Erik's aunt, Rosannie.

She is a bit shorter than me, even with her ageing hair piled high in an elegant bun.

"Really?" I was quite shocked to hear her saying it, from what Erik told me they were rather close.

"They never performed in Chicago once they signed, I think they were hoping to keep Samantha from her old crowd by doing so. Usually, I would drive or fly out to them depending on where they were."

"He talks very highly of you." I smile at her, being around her is calming and soothing.

She gives off both a motherly vibe and a nursing vibe.

I felt like if I had any problems I could entrust them to her, something I was never able to do back in Boston.

"I would hope so, he has my name on him." Rosannie scoffs and shakes her head, "I told him no tattoos and what does he do as soon as he turns sixteen, gets my name inked on him like that will make everything better."

"He does love his ink." I laugh as I watch the band walk away with Erik's chest full of art on display.

He turns to look at the two of us sitting in lawn chairs behind the stage.

Pretty sure they are for the band but their asses aren't in them.

"What are you two laughing about?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"You," I answer cheekily.

"Oh great, Mum, don't embarrass me." He says as he walks over, "I'm fucking serious."

"Leave your Mom alone, she was telling me about your first tattoo and I made a comment about the rest of your tattoos." I roll eyes at Erik's behaviour, "calm down she hasn't told any awkward teenage stories yet."

"He has a ton of those." Rosannie chimes in.

"Mum." Erik gives her a pointed look, "I am thirty, that means we can skip those."

"I'm married to an old man." I cringe causing Erik to roll his eyes at me, "c'mon Erik I am bonding with my mother-in-law."

"Fine." He mumbles before giving each of us a kiss on the cheek and heading back to the stage.

I turn to look at Rosannie, "I am sorry that we never got to meet and you couldn't be at the wedding, everything just happened so fast."

"You don't need to apologize, I am just happy that you both are happy. Never apologize for loving someone no matter the time you've spent together, love knows no time."

I smile at her words because they are so true, looking back at my last relationship, we were together ten years and never once did I feel like I do when I am around Erik.

"He's an amazing guy. He's so supportive and understanding, I truly didn't think any of this would have happened when I agreed back in October." I tell her truthfully, she deserves to know just how amazing her son is especially with how his life started out with his biological mother.

"I'm happy to hear that, I always worried about the two of them. The odds were always stacked against them, both having a family history of addiction and a single mother who was never home. I still worry even though they are both grown." I can hear the anger in Rosannie's voice as she speaks.