Chapter 8 - Scorpius [UPDATED]

I stopped being able to think the moment Rose's lips touched mine. For all of two seconds, I froze completely, unable to process the contact — then my brain was screaming yes yes yes yes yes and her tongue was in my mouth and I was backing her into the wall.

She tasted faintly of something with an edge of spice to it, and the kiss was, suitably, more hot than sweet. Rose dragged her hands through my hair as mine gripped her smooth thighs, pushing up the hem of her skirt. My lips travelled down, brushing her jawline and then her neck. I bit down on a spot just above her collar bone, and she moaned softly, bucking her hips against me. In response, I moved in closer, feeling warm and desperate and undeniably turned on.

Her fingers had abandoned my hair, and were now tugging my shirt up. I let out a low gasp as Rose's cool, soft hands roamed my torso, then returned my mouth to hers with a fury that came out of nowhere. In that moment, I didn't care that she hadn't spared me a glance for the past week. I didn't care that we were practically in public, and someone could walk by at any moment and interrupt. I didn't care that the last time we'd done this, it had turned into a massive fuckup. I wanted her. I really, really wanted her.

When Rose's hands fell away from my body, it was my turn to do the touching, brushing my thumbs lightly along the innermost part of her thighs. My lips pressed to her neck, I felt the intake of breath as my hands crept almost as close as possible to her center, tracing the seams of her underpants. I could sense the throbbing need in her, so similar to my own, and the soft moan she let out as I pulled away was only confirmation.

"Tell me what you want," I murmured, my voice barely more than a breath in her ear. "I'll do it. Anything."

Rose exhaled slowly, and for a moment, I wondered if she would speak at all. Finally, she whispered, "Room of Requirement. Now."

She grabbed my hands and tugged me along the hallway, walking backwards in order to steal kisses every few seconds. Tasting her was somehow more intoxicating than any hard liquor I'd ever drunk... And yet, by the time we'd slipped into the Room, my head had begun to clear — enough that when she started to pull me towards the bed, I stepped back. "Rose," I breathed, "What the fuck are we doing?"

The redhead frowned, reaching up to brush her thumb against the nape of my neck. I shivered, shutting my eyes in hopes that it would do something to settle the desire. "We're doing what I want. You said you would."

Salazar... did she have to use that voice? It was soft and husky, not so different from her normal one and yet not like it at all. And it wasn't helping my self-control. "I know... I will," I sighed, breath catching in my throat as she pressed her lips to my collarbone. "I just... want to know what it means."

Something flickered in Rose's blue eyes. I watched as she bit her lip, then said, with an air of decision, "Nothing. It means nothing."

I swallowed, shutting my eyes for a moment. Was that really what she wanted? Since when? This wasn't Prissy, for Merlin's sake... This wasn't an understanding. This was Rose. Rose, who I was desperately, pathetically in love with. And she was asking for no-strings-attached. I searched for something casual to say, something that made it sound like I didn't care, but all I could get out was "Then... why?"

She huffed out a small laugh. "Do I have to explain myself? I thought this was what you did — sleep with whoever wanted you."

Touché, but her assessment was a bit off. The people I hooked up with? They didn't want me. They wanted sex. And that was what I gave them. But when it was Rose asking... Rose wanting my body but not me... It felt different. Truth be told, it felt wrong.

She must have mistaken the look on my face for annoyance, because she cupped my cheek in her hand, sighing softly. "I'm only kidding; I'll tell you the real reason. I..." The redheaded girl glanced down, then back up at me, flushing. "That night we were together... it's all a blur. I was too drunk to get a clear picture of anything. And I guess I... I'd like to say I can recall what it was like to sleep with you."