1.13

Everyone in the room fell to their knees upon hearing Xu Yongheng's words, shaking with fear upon seeing his anger.

"Your Majesty, please calm down." Mei Lin knelt down onto the ground, also surprised by Xu Yongheng's anger. Though unlike the other people in the room, she didn't tremble, but inside, she was scared. She knew how much Xu Yongheng cared for Bai Mengxiang.

"Calm? How can We remain calm when Our child was almost killed, when We have almost lost the life of the one We love? Empress, do you want to explain to Us what had happened at the party you had planned?" Xu Yongheng said, the anger in his eyes was clear for everyone to see.

Mei Lin couldn't find the right words to say, after all, she also didn't understand what had happened. One second, Consort Ran and Yu Zhuang were arguing, the next, Bai Mengxiang was feeling unwell and he had collapsed.

"Your Majesty, I...I don't know what had happened. The weather was hot and I noticed that Imperial Noble Consort Bai was feeling unwell so I had excused him, telling him that he could leave. I couldn't tell what had happened, only knowing that he had collapsed." Mei Lin was saying her words honestly, because she had no reason to plot against Bai Mengxiang, even Xu Yongheng understood that.

"Everyone, get out! We want the Imperial Physician and the Empress to stay, other than that, everyone, get out." Xu Yongheng didn't need to repeat the sentence again because everyone fled the moment they heard his voice, afraid that if they stayed, their heads would get chopped off.

"You, tell Us what happened?" Xu Yongheng pointed to Xiao Lan to talk.

"Your Majesty, this morning the Imperial Noble Consort had been fine, there was nothing unusual about him. Even when we had arrived and greeted Her Majesty, the Empress, Imperial Noble Consort was still fine. Halfway through though, the Imperial Noble Consort began feeling faint, and the Empress excused us to leave." Xiao Lan said, her heart shaking wildly as she stared at the image of Bai Mengxiang laying on the bed, his face pale.

"Do you recall anything else?" Xu Yongheng patiently asked, though worry clouded his eyes.

"Your Majesty, there was a maid that had passed by Imperial Noble Consort Bai just before he began feeling unwell." Mei Lin suddenly said, a light bulb going off in her mind.

Hearing those words, Xiao Lan's eyes opened wide as she finally recalled something.

"Your Majesty, just a few moments before Imperial Noble Consort started to feel ill, a maid had walked pass him. I didn't think much about it at first but I now recall that the maid had touched Imperial Noble Consort for just a second before walking away again. From what I remember, I saw something white fall out from the maids hand." Xiao Lan said, now remembering the events that had happened just before. Because it didn't look too suspicious, she hadn't thought much about it when it had happened but now, she realized that because of her, Bai Mengxiang was in danger.

"Do you remember how the maid looked like?" Xu Yongheng asked, his hand against his chin as he spoke.

"Your Majesty, I don't remember. Because the maid had touched the Imperial Noble Consort for just a split second, by the time I thought to look at her face, she was already walking away. Although I don't recall what she looked like, she was wearing a white and red robe, and she had a white and red bracelet on." Xiao Lan tried remembering what the maid had looked like but she could only remember this much.

Xu Yongheng held his forehead in his hand, and his eyes turned to look at Bai Mengxiang who was laying on the bed.

"You may all get out, except for you," Xu Yongheng pointed to the Imperial Physician.