Chapter 17 - What Should I Do

Catherine Ashton

After meeting with his friends, Jacob took me to a jewelry shop. He told me that we have to buy an engagement ring because there's an important dinner between businessmen and women in Toronto.

I've always thought that one day I will get engaged in a most romantic way but I guess I won't now. Instead of getting a romantic proposal, I'm buying my own ring to the store. It broke my heart actually and I don't even want to go inside to pick my own ring.

Crystal and Tatiana were married to the love of their lives, I asked them about it earlier and I can't help but feeling jealous. I mean Tatiana was forced into the marriage but she ended up falling for him. I mean I think I'm so unlucky when it comes to live.

"You okay?" Jacob asked and I looked at him completely hesitate to go into the jewelry shop.

"I don't feel really well.. can you just buy a random ring for me? I'll wait in the car." I said and Jacob looked at me confuse.

"Don't you want to pick your own ring?" He asked and I shook my head. He decided to let me stay in the car and I saw him walking inside. I couldn't help but cry because how tragic my love story is. This sucks..

I remembered 5 years ago, Eden proposed to me in the most romantic way. I loved him so much that I said yes without any hesitation but now here I am.. going to marry someone that I don't even love. I took my bag and got out from the car. I want to run away, I want to run away so bad..

I think I don't want this marriage.

But on the other side, I don't want to disappoint my family. Their reputation is in my hands and my grandfather's health is at stake too. What should I do?

I don't like Jacob, let alone love.

"Hey.. why are you out? I got you the ring." Jacob walked towards me and my heart just crunched big time. He walked into the jewelry store and walked out with a ring just 10 minutes after he walked in.

"Jacob, I don't feel that good. Do you mind if I.. skip the dinner tonight?" I asked him and he nodded.

"Sure, I'll talk to grandpa about it. Do you want to go to the hospital?" He asked and I shook my head. He gestured me to go into the car and I got inside. He got into the car and gave me the small black box.

I opened it and there it is.. a beautiful ring. It was big, big enough for people to notice it but it was just a plain ring. I took it out from the box and wore it to my ring finger.

"Do you like it? Or do you want to change it?" Jacob asked.

"No, it's beautiful." I said but I didn't dare to look at him because he will know that I'm lying. It is a beautiful ring but you know why.

Jacob drove home and I was silent all the way back. My heart broke and it was just a shit show for me. I started to hate the fact of this arrange marriage. I don't like about it a bit and I want to run away so bad just like 5 years ago.

After we arrived at the house, I got out and Jacob held my hand escorting me back to my room. He put his hand on my forehead and he looked at me.

"You don't have a fever, do you have a bad headache?" He asked and I nodded.

"I'll get you a medicine." He said and I nodded again weakly. He walked into his room and walked out 1 minute later with a medicine.

"Drink it and go to sleep.. you'll get better soon." He said smiling to me.

"Thanks." I said and I walked into the room. I drank the medicine and changed my clothes into a comfy clothes. I laid on the bed and looked at the ring. I took it off and decided to put the ring on the table beside my bed. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

I opened my eyes and quickly reached out to look for my phone. I checked the time and I slept for 5 hours and it's 8 pm already. I got up and leaned my back to the wall. My room was so dark but I don't want to turn on the lights.

I decided to call my mom.

"Hello." She answered.

"Hey mom." I wanted to cry as soon as I heard her voice.

"Hey honey, is everything okay?" She asked.

"Mom, do I have to get married with Jacob?" I asked tearing up.

"Oh Cathy.." She knew that I was crying. I wiped my tears and laid back in bed.

"I don't want to get married without love. I don't want this." I said truthfully.

"Oh Cathy, if you don't want it then don't. Come home and I'll talk to your grandpa." She said.

"Can I? I think he will be disappointed at me."

"We can talk this through, I bet he wants you to be happy. He was trying to set you up with a good man that comes from a good family. He wanted you to be happy but if you don't, I bet he will understand." My mom said and I'm so glad that I called her.

"I know.. but I can't just leave."

"I suggest you to talk to Jacob first and then.. we can figure out how to tell Joseph and your grandpa." She said and I found myself nodding even though she can't see me.

"I'm so childish, aren't I?" I asked as I let out a dry laugh.

"No.. you're not. It's just your heart wants other things. It's normal and it's okay to cry when you don't want something. I understand that." She said.

"Thanks mom."

"Anytime, Catherine. Do you want me to send your brother?"

"No.. he's busy with school. It's okay." I said.

"Okay then.. if you want to talk about this again, you can call me anytime."

"Okay." I said and ended the call.

What should I do now?