26 - Liar, Liar, Light Her on Fire Part 2

Jai-Jai shrugged her shoulders. Martha jumped up, repeating Dorithea's immobility spell. The dragon chuckled, stretching out and rolling her neck. "Such a weak spell, I'm a little underwhelmed. You've got a fantastic lair here, props for managing to catch us. But, it's getting a little chilly for my friends, and we have a boat to catch."

Rhistel couldn't help smiling.

"Are you a witch?" Martha sidestepped, hands tucked behind her back.

Shaking her head, Jai-Jai stood up, facing Rhistel. Behind, the elf could see Dorithea stalking the perimeter. Her eyes widened and she called out, "Behind ye!"

Dorithea raised her hands and the walls started to shake. The metal rippled as thin spikes shot towards Jai-Jai. Rhistel shut her eyes. Hearing gasps, she cracked one eye open. Every piece of metal had shattered. The silver left a fine dusting over Alanis, who sneezed and rolled over, snuggling into a ball. Jai-Jai swayed as she gritted her teeth, eyes focusing at Martha who stood before her.

"You definitely are not human. But, you aren't invincible. My love," Martha cooed, "I think we've found a fine specimen."

"I think you're right."

The walls started to shiver again. Rhistel could only watch Dorithea. When no more weapons formed, she raised an eyebrow. The woman had stopped moving, eyes bloodshot and mouth agape. Choking, she balled her hands, clutching her stomach. Beside her, she could hear Martha choking.

"I told you," Jai-Jai seethed, "this game is over."

Rhistel felt all the hair on her body stand up, goosebumps prickling her skin. A bead of sweat trickled down her forehead. The air around Jai-Jai waved, an oasis of heat in a frozen desert. For months afterwards, Rhistel saw Dorithea's eyes melting every time she closed her own. Visions of the woman clawing at their own skin, their breaths smelling of burning guts. Their mouths opened to scream, but only fire blew out. Mangled gurgles from scorched throats joined Jai-Jai's heavy panting.

It was over quickly, Martha and Dorithea lay dead at the dragon's feet. The beast looked pleased as she surveyed her work for a moment. It stalked towards Rhistel, and for a split moment, she thought she was next. Her heart sped up, and she felt burning in her own stomach. It was simply her own fire returning. Embarrassed, "Yer hurt," was all she could mumble.

Sticking our from underneath Jai-Jai's shoulder blade were two metal shards. She was breathing heavily but made no attempt to pull them out. Grabbing Rhistel's arms, Jai-Jai tugged at the runes. They crumbled like dust.

"Are ye okay?"

"I'm fine." Jai-Jai slumped to the ground, the air around her cooling again.

"How're ye not a porcupine right now?"

Jai-Jai's skin shimmered. "Impenetrable to everything, except our own scales."

"But, yer injured."

"Aren't you full of questions today?"

"All stop askin' if ye answer." Rhistel sat crosslegged, her vision focused on Jai-Jai's face rather than the melted bodies.

Jai-Jai sighed. "I wasn't learning to guard my back quick enough, and following orders, my sister removed a few scales. I learned very quickly to never show my back to an enemy after that."