Chapter 1: Past End

The cold dungeon of the imperial palace held a pitiful prisoner, whose sin was schemed by such people who didn't deserve to live. The chilling air guided through the empty and dirty dungeon filled with none other than the smell of rotten corpses and dried blood on the floors of each cell.

In one of the cells lies the sinful empress on the cold floor, waiting to be called by the current reigning emperor, Yang Le.

. . .

How many days had she been in here?

Why isn't His Majesty coming for her?

Why isn't he letting her out?

Doesn't he love her?

All these questions that swirled in her mind gave the woman a headache. It's been days and yet His Majesty still hasn't come back for his Empress.

Does he hate her?

No! He would never!

As she thought deeply, loud clatter of footsteps were heard coming closer and closer to the empress with every step of her heart slowly breaking away from its shell. It hurt her so much more than the physical scars left on the body.

"Fourth sister, if you didn't cheat on His Majesty then you wouldn't be here."

The empress carefully lifts her head up from the ground to cast her eyes on a fair maiden outside of the cell, looking down on her with a charming smile. Charming? More like scheming and foxy. And for whom she formerly called her Second Sister, Yin Rue.

"Fourth sister is indeed a cheating wife! Who would want to look up to the mother of the nation with knowing what happened? It's better for you to not make His Majesty suffer anymore!"

A second maiden walked by Yin Rue's side with a much more devious smile on her face. Even a reflection on a mirror was sure to display the same expression as these two whose appearances were the same. She was precisely born a moment later than Yin Rue.

"Yin Rui, what you say is correct. We cannot let Fourth Sister make His Majesty suffer any longer. Oh and His Majesty has already brought the Yin Family to be executed due to cooperating with the enemy."

What?!

"You two! What have you done with our family?! Our father, your mother, Eldest Sister, Brother Long. . .do you not think about the consequences?!"

She tried to raise her body to stand yet couldn't muster up the strength to keep it from hitting the cold ground once again. Her body was beaten severely by their maids and some guards for a crime she did not even commit and even if she had proven things, Yang Le still wouldn't let her free. His ruthless personality as the 'son of a dragon' will not make the kingdom strive at all! He never cares about the people's families!

How could she be so blind to marry a corrupt emperor!

"Consequences? We did think about them, but His Majesty was lenient on us sisters because he believed we were pitiful to be victims of Father and Mother. His Majesty even believed Eldest Sister was far beyond saving. Thus, he executed the family and freed us from our family's grasp. However. . .you were believed to be the spy to control him. That's why. . ."

"That's why you must die! For the sake of His Majesty and the kingdom!"

Yin Rui finished Yin Rue's sentence as she gave the empress a perilous look.

"I want. . .to see His Majesty. . .one last time."

"Zhen grants your wish."

The three of them turn their heads towards the direction of the mature and handsome voice of the Emperor. Emperor Yang Le.

"Long live Your Majesty!"

The twin sisters graciously bowed in his presence as the prisoner only kept her silence. Her heart already tore away the part of where she used to love him, yet she couldn't stop it from resurfacing. The man she loved so much now hated so much, how could she still think about loving him?

"Rise."

Yin Rue and Yin Rui stood back up and gave him the most delicate smiles to charm Emperor Yang Le. As the empress thought, he would be attracted to those intentional expressions until he looked at her. There was little hope left inside her heart.

"Yin Lanying, you betrayed me. Sleeping with my brother and being the spy of your family to control me in the palace from the beginning. . .Truthfully, I never loved you. You were simply a pawn from both sides and now you'll pay the price for going against Zhen."

Yin Lanying closed her eyes as her heart finally turns cold. She gripped a sharp item in her concealed hand.

No more.

"Fourth sister, don't falter. When the time comes, we will meet again in the next life."

If there is a next life, then she will do her best to befriend her eldest sister. Lanying was regretful that she didn't get to know her better even when her eldest sister still cared for her before she died alongside her family from the execution.

"Pay the price? Hahahaha, Yang Le oh Yang Le. I've endured so much ridicule and humiliation already. As such, an inauspicious emperor like you is worth to be conquered over by the other kingdoms." She said confidently, standing up in front of him with a smile. In her hand was a small, sharp knife intent on ending a life.

"May the underworld welcome you soon."

"Yin Lanying!"

At last, she shall leave with an end to this torture. If there is a next life, then she will set things right this time. . .again.