Chapter Nine: All Except One.

tw//bullying

Harley

I was pushed on to the ground.

I felt the skin on my knee get scratched and then the pain kicked in. I immediately knew that it was bleeding when I felt the wetness on my leg. Tears spilled from my eyes. My pigtails are messy now.

I saw that my new dress that Daddy bought me just two days before tore at the ends. He's gonna be so sad when he finds out. I really liked it. It was green and had little coloured squares at the sleeves. Green is my favourite.

"You're ugly and fat!" she shouted. "You suck, Harley!"

I stayed on the ground out of fear of being attacked again. My head hurt.

"What did I d-do, Norah?" I sobbed.

"Lucas likes you and not me! And it's your fault! Yours!" she shouted. She looked scary like that. Her eyebrows were furrowed. And her cheeks were red.

My ears were ringing from the slap she gave me minutes ago.

All the kids stood around and watched. I saw some boys making fun of me. I saw girls snickering.

Some kids were cheering for her and chanting,"Norah! Norah!"

The shame had formed a painful knot in my stomach that wouldn't go away.

"Stay away from him! And stay away from my friends!" she growled and walked away as the bell rang.

Everybody followed. I sat there on the ground. I can't go back inside like this. They'll just make fun of me again. And Ms. Brown will ask me questions and send me to the nurse's office.

I started crying harder. I was embarrassed. And tired.

That's when I noticed two feet with bright blue shoes on in front me. I looked up and was met with pale blue eyes and golden blonde hair. It was a boy I'd never seen before. I guessed he was eight like me or maybe a year older since he was tall.

He held out a hand to me. I hesitated.

Jared Goldman had done that once, but as I was getting up, he let go and I had fallen back down on to the ground. His friends laughed at me that day and called me Fat Harley.

"I'm not gonna bite," he said, offended, his nose scrunched up.

"Who are you?" I asked, confused.

"Take my hand and I'll tell you."

I took his hand and he pulled me up to my feet. He waited for me to stop stumbling on my aching legs, holding on to my hand.

"I think you should say thank you," he said.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"You're welcome." He smiled back.

His face was a little funny looking. I liked his eyes and hair. But he had a splash of freckles on his face and his face was flushed red. He had a dimple on his left cheek and a small, red birthmark next to his collar bone. And he was way too skinny.

"What's your name?"

"Wyatt. What's yours?"

"Harley."

"That's pretty."

I blushed.

He looked down at my bleeding knee and his eyebrows were suddenly furrowed.