Chapter Fifty

Firo poked his head from the horse he was using as a cover, his eyes scanning the military barracks at Trost, he counted the number of soldiers standing at the entrance as guards – there were five. He sighed at the number, knowing that he couldn't slip pass them, if he did though, there were more inside, and he might end up dead if he were found. But he needed to get inside, it has been two weeks since the Scouts came back from the successful mission in reclaiming Wall Maria, and it has been a long time – since they left for the mission – that he saw Iris.

"Maybe I should disguise myself as a –" he thought out loud.

"Oi! What are you looking at?!" the Military Police came towards him.

Firo paled as he was found by the soldier.

"Uh..." Firo laughed nervously.

"Non-military personnel are not allowed here... unless you have business here..."

"Actually, I do have business here." Firo said.

The soldier looked unimpressed.

What the hell should I do?! Firo thought. A sudden touch at his shoulder made Firo jump, he turned and saw a beautiful young woman with long brown hair.

"He's with me!" the woman said.

"You are?" The soldier asked.

"Doctor Sofia Weaver – I've been called to check on someone by Commander Hange." The woman spoke. "And this young man is my apprentice – I told him to wait for me here."

The soldier didn't look that he believed Sofia's excuse and stood his ground.

"Please, we have to meet with them – besides, Captain Levi isn't kind for tardiness."

The soldier scoffed, and finally lets them pass. Sofia held Firo by the elbow and led him inside the barracks.

"Keep looking forward, and don't speak." Sofia said while she kept her smile.

Firo nodded and followed her lead. When they made a turn inside the building, Sofia released him from her hold.

"Thanks..." Firo said. "You didn't have to do that, you know."

"But I thought you wanted to see Iris?" Sofia asked.

"Well yeah – wait, how'd you know that I was here to see the Princess?" Firo asked.

"She told me a lot of things about you, Firo." Sofia winked, teasingly.

"She did?" Firo blushed. "Hold on – how did you – how do you even know – "

"I'm a good friend of Iris..." Sofia said. "I'm sure you've been trying to get to see her since you heard about the Scouts – and I'm here to tell you that she's fine..."

Firo sighed in relief, "That's good to hear."

"Listen, I'm not really here to see the Commander, I'm here to check on Sasha Blous, she had a really bad injury from their mission, and I'm here to check on her... I can't leave you here to wander and look for them, so you have to accompany me first to see Sasha, before I take you to them."

"Sure – of – of course!" Firo said.

Firo followed Sofia through the hall, they passed some doors that were shut – locked even. The whole time, he kept his head down and have been trying to fix his clothes.

I should've worn some descent clothes – I look pitiful. He thought at he dusted his vest.

A young man with red hair and wore the Scout uniform came to one of the doors, he was about to open it when Sofia called for him.