3

We followed Clary as she enter the Institute, "How can Shadowhunters be better than- than what you people call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle told her, as we all came to a stop in the middle of the hall.

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans." Clary faces us, "You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"Do not put this all on her." I warn, crossing my arms.

Clary faces me, "She left Simon all alone!"

"That does not give you any right to blame her!" I fought back, starting to walk closer to her, "She was protecting him- she was doing what she told you she would."

Alec grabs my arm and holds me back, staring at her, "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

I hit Alec's arm lightly, sighing, Isabelle rolling her eyes, "Alec, not now."

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." Jace crosses his arms, "They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that?" Clary blurts out, "Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec starts to walk down the hall, letting go of me, "They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"Alec, wait-" I went right after him and grabbed his arm, stopping him.

He halts, looking back at me.

"What, that he's my father?" Clary cuts in, then looks at me, spite filled in her tone, "That the biggest threat to the world is the father to one of their best Shadowhunters? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Awh-" I put a hand to my heart, choosing to ignore her attempt to hurt me, "You called me one of the best."

"Guys, it's all connected." Jace looks at us, "The vamps want the Cup."

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters." Clary questioned.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec rolls his eyes.

Isabelle adds in, "Plus, it controls demons."

"They'll propose a trade." Jace spoke, "Simon for the Cup."

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup- either way, I lose someone I love." Clary leans against the wall, "What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

Alec pushes, "So this doesn't matter to you?"

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary blurts out, then sighs, looking at Jace, "Listen when you saved my life I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"Finally- you get it." I cross my arms, sighing, "She's right- she was raised as a mundane- she has no idea what she's doing."

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec looks down at me.

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary walks away from us and into the Ops Center, "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon?"

I sigh deeply, following her, as the others followed me, Clary continuing, "Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

"Actually, no." Jace stood next to me, "That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals."