1000 Miles

(y/n) POV 

"Tomorrow, I'll be leaving for a business trip" said Jacques Schnee as he stood by the window of his office, looking outside as the sunlight illuminated his face "You'll be in charge of my children's safety"

"If you say so sir" I bowed, accepting the new job ahead of me "Is that all?"

"What'd you think? I called you here just for something like that?" he looked back at me, his eyes looked at me with a scowl "I must ask you this... What do my children think of me?"

The question was rather simple yet hard to answer. It's quite clearly obvious what the answer was, still, he is my employer and I think it'd be best if he heard what he wanted to hear.

"Your children are thankful-"

"Cut that out!" he raised his voice, now turning towards me with his hands on his desk "I want you to answer me honestly..." suddenly it turned gentle, almost as if hurt. He turned around. It seems he found the transparent window quite interesting now.

Seeing this, I decided to just go with it "Well... they don't like you... And that's putting it nicely, sir..."

"Then don't put it nicely"

"Winter plans to torture you in a basement, Weiss plans to poison you while Whitley... he plans to overthrow you... Game of Thrones style..." 

He didn't seem to be too affected by this and simply asked "And you?"

"Me? I just want to punch you in the face sir...

...twice...

...while wearing brass knuckles...

...that's covered with spikes...

...coated with poison..."

He looked at me with a sort of amusement.

"Sir, trust me when I say, you'd be impressed by how well planned your homicide is" I coughed, feeling weird saying those words to the man who accepted me to be Winter's personal butler "With all due respect sir of course... but, I still see you as somewhat of a... necessary evil"

The head of the Schnee family raised his brow "So you believe in such a thing?" he coughed and cleared his throat before continuing "Let the world hate me and let my hands be dirtied by blood. If all of that means that my own son and daughters won't follow my footsteps then so be it. Let the world scream profanities at me, but I will never let them touch my son and daughters! Even if they themselves hate me..."

He turned and looked at me in the eyes.

The two of us remained silent for a few minutes before he spoke again "I was right letting you be Winter's butler. Ever since I saw you and her when you two were young, I knew... Protect her (y/n)..."

"Of course sir" I bowed to him even though he had his back turned to me "It is my duty..."

"...Very well, you are dismissed"

Winter POV 

My piano lessons had just been finished. I sat by the piano, stretching my weary stretched out fingers. I stood up and shook my legs and bent my back, tired from sitting down and pressing the keys to the tune my teacher wanted. Just now, during breakfast, dad announced his leave for a business trip. Still, we had to attend to our lessons...

"What is it with rich people and piano?" (y/n) asked as he entered the room bringing a tray of water and some snacks "I mean, isn't violin a more elegant instrument?"