Unrational Fear

This is my nightmare.

Here I am in a cafe with my mates. They're staring at me after I've explained what exactly had happened in the pool today. We are sitting in the back corner so that we can have privacy. However, completely futile because everyone here is ogling tony stark.

"So, let me get this straight. The water was acting on your command and you can breath under water?" Steve asks, shocked. He didn't know what he had expected from his mate's explanation, but it definitely wasn't that.

"I guess so. It all just seemed bizarre. I mean nothing like that has ever- ever happened to me before."

"This is sooooo cool, Ava! You have powers like me!! This is so exciting! You can fight with us, and become a superhero, a-" Peter exclaimed while practically bouncing in his seat.

"Slow down there kid. We don't know anything about this yet." Tony interjected Peter's long winded tangent. "We should take you to Bruce get him to check you out just to be sure that there's nothing wrong. Then, we can test some of what you said you can do. I'm not too sure that I want you to try breathing under water, though." Tony said, standing up and holding out a hand for me to take.

I look at it, unsure if I want to go to Bruce because then I'd just have to tell more people of what happened, and I'm not even fully sure I wasn't hallucinating. "Come on Ariel. It's not going to hurt to check."

Tony Stark the famous play boy philanthropist was practically begging me to take his hand- to put my trust in him. I looked into his eyes and hesitated once more. Asking, vulnerability shinning in my eyes, "How can I be sure that I can trust you all?"

"You can't- you just have to take a leap of faith." Steve- America said, standing behind Tony with Peter next to him.

Peter shoots me a reassuring smile and just like that I'm gripping Tony's hand tightly. He helps me stand and leads me to the door with Peter and Steve in front of us.

They go out front of us, getting in the car with Steve in the passenger seat and Peter in the back. When we approach the car, Tony holds the door open for me. Again, I hesitate thinking of what's to come.

I've never liked doctor visits, not that I ever really went, besides the times I had to get my sports physical, and this definitely feels like I'm going to the doctor's office for a very important evaluation. It kind of is, however, and that's what's making me so nervous and scared, not knowing what they would actually do.

"Come on Ava. You can sit next to me." Peter says, sticking his head out the open door with a goofy grin on his face.

All I can do in return is nod and climb in. When Tony and I are settled, Happy starts to drive in silence. The tension is killing me, so I start to nervously bounce my leg and wring my hands together.

Peter must have noticed because he wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his side. "Calm down, Ava. It's just Bruce, remember?"

Instead of answering, I sigh and place my head on his shoulder, letting him hold me. This is definitely new to me because I've never had anyone hug me, or even affectionately touch me besides Emma or Blake. With Peter, it feels like more than just friendly support, it feels... deeper somehow.

I close my eyes and let myself relax.

Maybe this is what belonging feels like- maybe, just maybe I'm finally on the right track.

Getting accepted to NYU felt right.

Moving to New York felt even more right.

And now I know why I was finally taking steps towards my soulmates who I am still learning to trust.