Selling Love and Buying Stars

Stardust: Selling Love and Buying Stars

☆   ☪   ☆

    Up high on the roof of the Tetro residence, two reposed forms sprawled across the black shingles fresh with the dew of rain. The damp roof wet their clothes and their skins with an earthy scent, but neither of them seemed to mind at all. They were far too enraptured in the clear moon that hung heavy over their heads, and the blinking stars huddled in small groups that lit up the velvet of midnight.

One of the inky, shadowed forms briefly stirred. Streaming locks tinged with night ruffled in the breeze as this form rolled over to face the other larger figure.

"I can't believe you threw a dodgeball right at Billy Abel's nose today," delicately whispered the smaller silhouette. "He was gushing blood all over the gymnasium."

"He shouldn't have called you a cunt," said the larger of the two, whose voice was much more gruff.

The first to speak nodded in appreciation, and returned to its back.

A silence fell upon the two. Their synced breathing, and the quiet whistle of the night's breeze, were all to be heard on the roof.

The blinking lights of an airplane high up in the clouds succinctly captured their eyes where the white lights were reflected in their pupils. The lights pulsed and swirled through their sights, but were soon gone once a cloud swallowed the plane and all those within it.

Not too much longer, the smaller figure stired once again, disrupting the still of the rooftop. "Ya' know he's gonna be comin' after you now, right?"

In a swift series of movements, the larger silhouette rolled over on its side to face the smaller nuisance that did not seem comfortable with the quiet, and striked the lighter pulled from its pocket.

The lighter spat out a small, golden flame bright enough to illuminate the faces of Skylar and Brennyn.

A bothered frown was etched across Brennyn's features while the flame danced in her irises.

"Do you think I'm scared of him?" Skylar inquired. He moves the lighter to get a better look at his company's face.

Her frown deepend. "No, 'course not."

"Then, tell me what's bothering you," he pressed.

She sighed. "It's just..."

"Just what?"

"I don't want you to leave," she whined. Her bottom lip poked out into a pout, and her eyes seemed to gloss over with a film of twinkling wetness emphasized by the flame.

"I'm not goin' anywhere," said Skylar. His tone was hard and determined, yet his brows slightly furrowed once he noticed her eyes.