Chapter 10

Jade sat on her bed in the empty dormitory with her hands folded over the other with an aura of placid calmness. She had not allowed herself to be riled by the ribbing her roomates had inflicted on her. The news of her disqualification had spread fast but her serene countenance had given the other competitors no satisfaction. They had left for their day's task leaving her behind. The tall girl now awaited the arrival of her carriage. Soon she would be back in Mr. Gepetto's cosy home. 

A guard knocked on the gilded door and Jade took a calming breath before rising to receive it. The red clad man handed her a sealed envelope which she opened with fumbling fingers, the only sign of her nerves.

"Join your comrades in the library. I have set them a research task which is enclosed within this letter. Regards, Sir Elliot Martin," Jade read the short, crisp note with blooming confusion. There was no mention of her departure. 

"Is this it? Do I not have to take my leave soon? My luggage is packed," The girl asked the guard, pointing at her threadbare belongings set in the middle of the room.

The guard shook his head, "You are no longer leaving the premises. The order to remove you from the competition has been cancelled."

Jade's brown eyes were wide as she struggled to hide her glee. She looked at her luggage once again and then back the guard who was waiting for her expectantly.

"I am ordered to take you to the library," The mustached man made a gesture out to the hallway and Jade did not have to be told twice to move her stupefied rear out into the passageway.

...

Elliot walked into the Prince's room with a dour expression. He had done what his young master had bid him to but he was not pleased with the outcome. His greying eyebrows became even more pronounced seeing the man had not changed his position since they had last spoken an hour ago.

Luke had his head on the plush carpet on the floor while his legs were propped on the bed. He still wore the formely damp clothes he had worn the night before. In his hands was a novel worn by years of reads and rereads. Elliot's nose scrunched as if he smelt something unpleasant. 

"Cease your foolishness, boy!" The older man barked making the younger one roll his grey eyes, "People are beginning to talk."

"Beginning?" Luke snorted with a brittle laugh, "I should have thought they would be bored of me by now."

"Creeping about in the dark, scaring the maids and night guard..." Elliot grumbled as he started putting together the dishelved room. He pulled up a tatty pair of shoes that the Prince had never owned, "What is this garbage?" 

"I saw her again," Luke set the book on his side and placed an arm over his eyes as if it could shield himself from the visions that taunted in his dreams.

The old secretary had no words since he could not understand what tormented his charge. The dreams were getting frequent and the desperation to solve the young man's problem was increasing. 

"Then it is imperative we solve the matter of your new secretary immediately," Elliot changed the subject to something less controversial, "Remind me why you want Mr. Smith in the running and refuse to consider Mr. Dartmoor?"

"He has shifty eyes. I don't trust him," Was Luke's impertinent reply. He now sat on the carpet while Elliot picked up the mess around him. A maid would be in soon as per schedule but the older man needed to get his frustrations out on something or else he would start screaming at the Prince. 

"This Paul fellow I will not abide. I could hear his dinner making its escape from his mouth from across the table," Elliot said, crossly. 

"I have to tolerate him not you. You shan't be on my side after the new secretary joins us," Luke replied with a faint smile. 

"And you cannot be considering Ward? But you are. I have done as you commanded. He is reinstated," The grey haired man groused.

"He is acceptable. Even you have remarked so," The Prince answered.