59. Hope

-Tilly-

-Tilly-

I didn't know what to do or what to think. I was sitting next to Arch's bed, staring at his face as he slept. He was still pale and immobile, but at least he was at peace now. I was shaken to the core. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened earlier. Arch's condition had gotten worse over the past few months, but I had never seen him like that. He was in so much pain...

For a while, I was alone in the room. Jaden was taking care of Oliver. Natalie was sleeping in the living room, trying to recover from the rescue mission. And Mom... she was walking around the house.

Soon, she stepped into the room and stopped to stare at Arch, arms tightly wrapped around herself. She looked older somehow. And she was sad.

"His parents are coming," she said with a heavy voice. "I feel like a failure. I was unable to protect their son..."

"What can we do against shadows?" I asked, turning my eyes back to Arch.

"Useless..." she breathed out almost angrily. "We are putting our faith in the hands of a sixteen-year-old boy. And there's nothing we can do to help this little one."

I saw her pressing her hand on her chest, so I knew she was talking about the dying spirit.

"I am the Huntress," she muttered with an upset tone in her voice. "I am a guardian of the Blue Moon, the leader of hunters and the right hand of our Luna. I was there when the Shadow Walkers invaded this land and I was there when we kicked them out. And there's still nothing I can do..."

I stood up to hug her. I really needed a hug, but I also hoped to make her feel better. "We'll get through this together."

She hugged me tightly, resting her head on my own. "That son of a bitch will pay for what he's done..." she muttered angrily.

I nodded, feeling a bit better now. I heard noises coming from the living room, and Mom let go of me just in time to see Natalie appearing to the door. She looked almost dead. She had to lean against the wall because she was so weak.

"You should be resting," Mom said to her, but she ignored her words.

"Let me check up on him," Natalie said, lifting her hand in front of my mom, before she closed her eyes.

"How is he?" Mom whispered.

Natalie tilted her head like she was trying to listen. She didn't say a word at first, not until she lowered her hand back down.

"It's too early to say..." she mumbled, before she went to sit down on the bed, taking a few, deep breaths.

"You mean... there's still hope?" Mom asked with a timid voice that was highly unnatural for her.

"Too early to say..." Natalie breathed out and stared at Mom for a moment. "Spirits are unpredictable. Even the tiniest things can bring down the mightiest souls, and even the weakest souls can have remarkable strength."