Chapter Forty-two

Chloe's P.O.V

"How was your date?" Hailee asked while she was eating a yogurt with Marshall in the living room.

"Yeah, Claire, how was your date?" Marshall asked with a bright smile on her face.

I didn't really want to tell them what happened, but they were my friends. They should know what happened. "Kason and I are not seeing each other anymore," I said, trying to act like it was nothing.

"What?!" Hailee said, sounding a little more on the angry side.

"But I thought things with Kason were going well?" Marshall asked, her expression confused.

"Well I decided to end things with him," I said and sat on the armchair.

Hailee licked the yogurt off her spoon and narrowed her eyes at me, pushing up her glasses up her thin nose. "Don't tell me it's–"

"Yes, Hailee, it's because I like Luke," I said exasperatedly. "I am so sick and tired of you badgering me over me liking him. I can't help it, and neither can you. He's a great guy and I'd rather be his fat, ugly friend than be nothing at all."

Marshall was quiet. She didn't know that I liked Luke until now, but I guessed it didn't matter. She could now join in with Hailee and tell me why I shouldn't like him and why I should like someone else.

"You know I'm only saying this for your own good," Hailee said, setting her yogurt and spoon on a napkin on the coffee table.

"But are you Hailee? Because sometimes I get the feeling that you're not," I folded my arms. I was starting to get angry. "Besides, he likes you...not me..."

"W-what?" Hailee stuttered, her glasses slipping down her nose. "Luke l-likes me? How do you know that?"

"Kason told me," I huffed out a breath. Even though she frustrated me sometimes, Hailee was still my best friend and ultimately, she deserved to be happy.

Hailee began clapping her hands giddily and squealing, jumping up and down around the dorm room. "Did you hear that Chloe? Luke likes me!"

"Yeah I know–"

"Not you. Chloe Marshall," Hailee rolled her eyes and then resumed to act ecstatically.

Marshall tucked her mozzarella blonde hair behind her ear, her blue eyes staring at Hailee methodically. "I wouldn't get too excited," she cocked her perfectly shaded in eyebrow.

"And why not?" Hailee raised her eyebrows, pushing up her glasses once more.

Marshall shrugged. "I don't know," she said casually. There was something Marshall wasn't telling us, and I intended to find out.

"Well anyway, I'm going to go finish packing and then head back home tonight," Hailee smiled, throwing away her empty yogurt cup and plastic spoon.

"Have fun with that," Marshall waved at her goodbye with her beautiful fake nails.

Hailee scrunched up her face happily and then disappeared into her bedroom.

"Guess I should go do the same," I said and started to get out of the armchair when Marshall stopped me, motioning for me to sit back down.

She looked around the corner as if to make sure Hailee wasn't near and asked quietly, "Do you really think that Luke likes her?"

"I mean...well...Kason said–"

"I call bullshit," Marshall said seriously, staring at me with her ocean blue eyes. "I know Luke pretty damn well. I mean, we even dated junior year of high school, which I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that he didn't even like me at that time–or really any other time for that matter but still. He tried pretending but let's face it, Luke is not that great at hiding his emotions."