chapter 26

Robin, Julia and Steve sat at the table in the back room as Dustin told them about what he saw when he did a stakeout by himself.

"That key card opens the door, but unfortunately the Russians with this key card also has a massive gun. Whatever is in this room. Whatever is in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin countered.

"Well. You know, I could just take him out." Steve nonchalantly spoke.

"Take who out?" Robin raised her eyebrows in amusement.

"The Russian guard. What I sneak up behind him I knock him out and I take his key card. It's easy." Steve demonstrated, causing Julia to let out a loud laugh but then covered her mouth with her hand.

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin asked.

"Yes, Dustin I did. And that's why I would be sneaking."

"Ah. Well please tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually.. won a fight?" Dustin questioned. both girls looked at each other trying to contain their laughs.

"Okay that was one time-" Steve started. "Twice. Jonathan. Year prior?" Dustin followed.

"Listen that doesn't count."

"Why wouldn't it count? Because it looks like he beat the shit out of you."

"And he did." "Jules!" "What it's true!"

"Actually three times. That one time Shawn Bevington beat you up because you knocked his lunch tray on the ground after he insulted you." Julia brought up. "Not helping babe." Steve mumbled.

"That just might work." Robin said to herself as she got up from her chair and rain to the counter, taking out the money from the tip jar.

"Robin. Hey Robin where are you going?"

"To find a way into that room, a safe way. And in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, talking to you two, mini Henderson and Harrington, and don't get beat up. I'll be back in a jiff." She called out.

Dustin took the scooper off the counter and began to lick it. Steve glared at the boy. "Oh dude," he ripped the device from his hands, "come on man, not my scooper."

_______

Half an hour later Robin came back to the parlor with papers folded up in her hands. Julia took the seat next to Steve. "It is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the County Recorder's Office," she unfolded the papers and laid them out on the table in front of the group. "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints." She grinned.

"Not bad." Dustin congratulated her.

"So this is us, Scoops," she pointed to the corner of the map, then pointed to the opposite direction, "and this is where we want to get."

"I mean, I don't really see a way in." Steve mumbled, looking at the map.

"There's not, if you're talking exclusively about doors." She ripped off the top paper to reveal another map, this time more detailed than the other.