40

When Richie woke up darkness was filling the van, minus the occasional lights from other cars headlights and Ben's reading light. Richie's head was throbbing, and he felt his stomach turn once before grabbing a silver bowl placed beside him and vomiting into it. The acidic stench filled the car as Richie groaned, trying to sit up.

Eddie's face appeared from over the back seat. He wrinkled his nose and took the bowl away from Richie, calling to Stan to pull over so he could dump out the bowl.

Richie clutched his hair, trying to remember everything that had happened. Then it hit him: the store, his mom, being related to Mike, the alcohol, the mission... he remembered most of it.

"How are you feeling?" Bev asked, leaning over the backseat and putting her hand on his forehead.

Richie groaned in response, taking deep breaths to keep from puking again. "Like shit. How long have I been out?"

"A while. We're almost to our destination, but most of us think we should wait until you're feeling better to act-"

"No," Richie cut her off, shaking his head. "The superiors have waited for a while already, let's just find her and contact them."

"Are you sure?" Bev's voice was laced with concern. "Bill told us you had ran into someone  you knew in the 7-11, but didn't give us much."

Richie smiled weakly. "I'm okay. Just someone who I didn't get along with. It's alright."

Bev didn't seem convinced, but didn't push. As the van began to move again, signaling Eddie had gotten rid of the mess Richie left in the bowl, Richie looked over the back seat to see where his boyfriend was.

Eddie was sitting in the center seat, but looked as though he was about to climb into the back with Richie. He gave Richie a soft smile, before scrambling over the back of the seat and falling onto the floor in the back ungracefully.

"You alright, Eds?" Richie asked, tugging him into his lap and pressing a small kiss to the back of his neck.

Eddie pulled away and turned around, face wrinkled in disgust. "You just vomited! Don't get your germs all over me!" he cried, but Richie could see that he wasn't too freaked out.

"Just hand me some gum, I'll be fine," Richie said with a weak smile.

Eddie raised his eyebrows. "No, you need to eat something. God knows how your fucking stomach handled all that alcohol! You're still recovering and now you can't have any pain pills for your head!"

Richie shrugged, wrapping his arms around his stomach and looking at his lap. He knew Eddie meant well, but he sounded really disappointed. They sat in silence for a while, the heavy breathing of sleeping passengers filling the van. Eventually Richie felt fingers under his chin and Eddie moved his face to make eye contact. Richie saw how soft his eyes were and how pitiful he looked.

"Bill told me who you ran into," Eddie whispered, scooting closer so he was once again in Richie's lap. "Are you okay?"

Richie inhaled sharply, blinking away tears. "Yeah, I'm okay. I mean, I am now. I just don't know how to break the news to Mike, and it just felt wrong. She apologized and said how sorry she was and all of that, but she still never said she loved me." A tear slid down his cheek and Eddie wiped it away. "I wish she had, even if I wasn't going to go with her," he whispered, laying his head in the crook where Eddie's neck met his shoulder.

"It's okay love, it's okay," Eddie said quietly, feeling his shirt get wet where Richie's face was, proving he had begun to cry. "It's alright, it's okay to cry. I know you're hurting, and no ones ever been here for you. I'm here for you if you want to talk, alright?"

Eddie felt Richie nod into his neck, but kept his face where it had been. He was letting out soft sobs that only Eddie could barely hear, but it broke Eddie's heart nonetheless. His poor, sweet boyfriend who was willing to get tortured to save him was broken.

The crying continued, even as Bev began to wake everyone up, saying they were nearly twenty minutes from their location. Those who looked in the back or had been sleeping there didn't comment, knowing there was a reason for the tears and the drinking.

The van crackled down a gravel road, bumping the van around. Richie held Eddie tighter so he wouldn't fall away from him, and Eddie held him back, knowing he needed the comfort.

They came to a stop, and the van turned off.

"Here we are," Stan said in a calm voice. "Everyone ready?"

Eddie buried his face into Richie's curls kissed his head before moving to whisper in his ear. "Do you want to stay here? It's okay if you do."

Richie shook his head and pulled away. In the dim light of the car, Eddie could see the tear stains and his bloodshot eyes. He looked like shit.

"I'm okay," Richie muttered in a crackly voice. "Let's just get this shit done and get back to HQ so I can lay in a room, cuddle you, and think about everything I regret in my life."

Eddie chuckled softly, kissing Richie on the lips, ignoring the germs that may still be there from Richie having vomited not long before. "Okay, babe. We can do that. Let's just get this shit done, alright?"

Richie inhaled and nodded, letting Eddie climb off his lap. They climbed out of the back of the van, meeting up with the group of teenagers. All of the Hive members were prepared with weapons, despite Mike Wheeler's complaints.

"You don't need weapons. She's not dangerous!" Mike hissed at Stan, who handed both Richie and Eddie weapons.

"They're not for her," Stan snapped. "They're a precaution in case other organizations come after us and we have to protect your sorry ass."

Mike clenched his jaw. "Fine, but I'm knocking."

"That was the plan, bitch," Bev said, eyes narrowed. She was clutching a knife in each hand. Although guns were more efficient, Bev had always preferred her daggers and close combat.

The teens from Hawkins all grumbled under their breath, but led the Hive members away from their van. They made their way to a short, one story hours within a wooded area.

Mike Wheeler took a deep breath before walking up to the green door. He looked at his friends, who gave small nods, before knocking his fist firmly against the door.