Army Post In Texas

We live on an Army Post in Texas - Fort Hood. And I never really believed in the paranormal ... until we moved into post housing! What follows is my true account, but I don't expect you to believe it... I never would have!

We moved into "post housing" around August of 1996, at Ft. Hood, TX. The house is nice, but nothing special, a two-story duplex. Downstairs is all tile floors, but the upstairs is the original wood the house was built with back in 1957. Everything that has happened in the house concerns the upstairs, nothing has ever come downstairs. That sounds strange to say, but it's definitely how it feels!

I talked to someone once, a person who is knowledgeable about the paranormal, who stated that this may be due to the tile floors downstairs... the wooden, natural floors upstairs would be more receptive to paranormal activity than the man-made asphalt tile of the lower portion of the house. Before living here, I would have thought a statement like that was pretty nuts really... but it "feels" right. The upstairs is definitely active in some way that the downstairs has never been. Let me tell you some of what we have experienced here, and then I'll move on into the specifics of when I started to keep a journal of all this weirdness!

The first thing was a night when we had another couple over to play cards. We were sitting at the dining room/kitchen table, playing Spades as usual. I had faintly heard crying from time to time, but dismissed it as what I refer to as my "Mommy hearing". It's an instinctive thing, I think - ever since our first child was born, I have at times heard a baby crying when there was none... like an instinctive cue to check on the baby. I don't really hear it probably, just a subconscious reminder to check on my kids! Hey, don't laugh, lots of Moms experience this, it's really an instinctive thing I think. Anyway, I had been hearing it on and off, but ignoring it! We had two children at the time, and they were both older, ages 3 1/2 and 2 so if they were crying, believe me I'd hear them a bit louder! Then eventually the other woman here noticed it as well and commented that we must be picking up someone else's baby in our monitor - we had a baby monitor sitting on top of the bookshelves. I was a bit startled! I had thought it was just my imagination, but now someone else heard it as well! The guys also said they heard it... and they all agreed that it was another baby in the neighborhood. Comments were made about other people's garage door openers opening your garage door, picking up other conversations on a cordless phone on occasion, etc. and we were all joking about it. My husband said, "Honey, just turn the monitor off. We'll hear the kids if they wake up." I had just gone white, and was staring at the monitor when he said that. I was looking at the little red indicator light on the monitor. You know, the one that lights up when the monitor is turned on to let you know that it's working. The one that was not lit up. But the monitor still seemed to be broadcasting the sound of that baby crying, not too loudly, but still plainly coming from the monitor. When I mentioned that it wasn't on... the light isn't lit up... my husband simply said, "The light's just broken, no big deal." And we all agreed that that must be it. I went over to the bookshelves to turn it off, but it was not turned on. As I followed the cord to the wall, I noticed that the AC adapter cord was not plugged into the wall. Everyone commented that it was batteries. I was the only one that knew there were no batteries in the unit - so I removed the back and showed them that there were no batteries in it. It grew very quiet as we all contemplated what this could possibly mean... I had never come this close to the unexplainable before in my life. How could this be possible?

I went upstairs to check on the girls, and to check the other - transmitting - end of the baby monitor upstairs. We were all determined to explain this rationally... even though the transmitting end would have no effect on the impossibility of the receiving end operating while turned off and with no power source! Still we were determined to figure this out. When I got upstairs, the kids were sound asleep, and the button on the monitor was in the "OFF" position, but for some reason I needed to physically verify that by touching the switch... as if my eyes couldn't be trusted - I had to make every effort to verify that it was indeed turned off. Just before I touched the monitor, my hand passed into a "cold spot" in the air. It was like a patch of almost arctic air in that it instantly made my whole body break out in goose bumps! I ran downstairs instantly, terrified as I've never been in my life... and realized that in my panic, I had left my children upstairs in their room with - and I couldn't finish that sentence, even in my mind! Everyone reassured me that the kids were fine... it was freaky, but harmless!