𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺: 𝙷𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚂𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝙷𝚘𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚛

"Let's begin

"Let's begin." Dr. Brenner smiled at Sarah from across the metal table.

Sarah gulped and began to shake as a man behind her fastened a strange helmet onto her head. Sensors suctioned onto her head like stickers and a strange buzzing noise began to fill her ears.

"I need you to focus," Dr. Brenner said, trying to catch her eyes as they darted around the room anxiously. "Can you do that for me?"

"Can I see my mommy and daddy?" Sarah asked, her eyes finally settling back on his.

"If you help us we can help you," Dr. Brenner replied. Sarah gave him a small nod and he smiled warmly. "Now, I need you to look at that wall and envision this picture, okay?"

Sarah studied the picture that Dr. Brenner slipped before her. It was a room with lots of buttons and metal machines. She had never seen it before but she didn't care because she would do whatever it took to see her parents again. "Okay."

"Okay..." Dr. Brenner led on, waving his hand in expectation.

"Okay...Papa." Sarah squirmed in her seat. She didn't like calling him that. He wasn't her father.

"Good," Dr. Brenner smiled again. "Proceed."

Sarah turned to face the wall to her left and tried to pick a spot on the wall to focus. She found a small smudge almost directly before her and concentrated all her might on it. She stared and stared until her eyes strained and began to pulse in pain. They felt like they were going to pop out of her head.

Sarah turned away when she could no longer handle the pain, rubbing her eyes vigorously. She looked to Dr. Brenner for help, but the unrelenting look on his face told her that she would not receive any until she did as she was told.

Tears welling in her eyes, she turned back to the smudge with the hope of seeing her mom and dad again fueling her. The longer she stared at it, the more it started to move and change. It was starting to take the shape of something familiar. It was starting to take the shape of the room in the picture.