|Forty One|

Running for our lives, I could hear the loud echos of Owen's gun as it fired into the night. The bullets meeting their mark but making little damage to the savage Indominus. That was the only way I knew Owen was alive. Not necessarily safe, but alive and still fighting all the same. 

Fighting to see the morning through and to come home safe to his family. To get us all safely off this island whilst annihilating the unforgiving enemy. Destroying it so that the soul shaking fear we all were living through could never be experienced again. 

I'd watched in horror as Blue had been swiped off her feet and thrown harshly into the wall of Starbucks. Her sleek form, limp, as she clattered to the ground heavily and didn't move afterwards. A red hot rod of horror jolting through me at the thought of losing Blue. She was like another child to Owen and I. All the girls were. Losing them would tear my heart apart just as much as losing any other member of our beloved family. We had nurtured these beautiful raptors that could understand the processes and interactions we had with them. Their intellectual connecting with us was flabbergasting. They would miss us in their lives just as much as we will when all this is eventually over. 

Jumping through the hatch into a merchandise stall, a poor choice of cover; I pulled Grey back into the darkness of the shadows and make sure that if anything were to happen, my body would cover the young boy. Claire, keeping Zach close to her as we listen to the catastrophe happening on the other side of the thin walls. All of our sweating bodies aching and screaming with fatigue. But we refused to succumb to the temptation to sit idly in the dark as we begin formulating our next move. 

I'm too busy concentrating on the screams of pain and the thunderous stomps the Indominus unleashes to contemplate what the young boy in my arms was counting. It was after 5am and fatigue from my hemorrhage was starting to set in. I could only imagine the nightmares this would bestow upon us all when we escape, never mind how this could change the young boys' lives forever. 

"We need more,"

"More what?" Claire harshly whispers, amazed that the young boy was remaining so calm in the catastrophic situation we were stuck in. Even through my own sprinting heart and struggling breaths I could feel a bubble of panic festering in my stomach and creeping icily through my veins. Festering and disintegrating any hope I had of thinking clearly for the next conclusive few minuets. 

"Teeth, we need more teeth," 

That was the penultimate moment I realized exactly what Claire was going to do. 

"No, no don't," I almost screamed as she gathers the flare from the emergency medical kit on the wall, "Claire don't be stupid," her voice strong as she begins asking for Lowery across the radio. I try to grab her but she's already off running in those ridiculous heels. Her nephews turning to face me in hopes that she would be alright. I can only offer a small smile as I pull them close. Zach careful not to knock my injured hand as we huddle in the dark. 

Owen suddenly appeared, launching himself though the hatch and landing as lightly as a wild cat. His finger pressed to his lips and his back facing the blood smothered teeth that were inches away. His eyes begging for us to remain still and quiet as the Indominus takes a deep breath. Hunting us down. Enjoying her hunt. 

 Then she attacked. Her large head smashing against the small hut and causing everything to shake as if an earthquake was occurring. Chaos erupting around us as her long arms smash through the walls and begin clawing for any leverage she can. Playing with us as she hunts her pray. 

We move quickly, Owen jumping into the adjacent corner and taking the boys with him, myself pushing Zach faster into them so we can get as far into the corner as possible. Owen and I attempting to use our own bodies as shields against the falling debris to protect the young boys. My arms shaking worse than someone experiencing withdrawal from their addictive substance as I beg my body to melt into the walls around us so I could escape her ravenous talons.