45

Previously on Pure Happiness

"If they're really your friends, they'll understand you need to do some things for yourself."

~~~

After showering and spending the morning with her father, Beth received a message from Bonnie saying Elena and Caroline would be going over to her house. She decided not to go. She was sure they were planning something she did not want to be a part of.

Instead, she stayed home and did some homework. While working on calculus, her phone began to ring. She grabbed it and saw that the screen read Clarke.

"I told you I would call," he said. The girl smiled a bittersweet smile.

"Hey, Clarke. What's up?" She asked hoping he wouldn't ask what she suspected.

"Come on, you must know. I wanted to ask you to lunch," the boy stated.

"Wanted. So does that mean you no longer want to?" While the question seemed like a joke it was more hopeful. She didn't want to reject him.

"No, it doesn't mean I don't want to," Clarke laughed. "You wanna come get lunch with me at the grill?"

"Clarke... I think I've led you on. You're a good guy but-"

"You like someone else?"

"It's not that. It's-"

"Then I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Clarke I can say no."

"Okay you're right. I'm sorry," he apologized, "but please. It's just lunch. We don't even have to call it a date."

"Fine. I'll have lunch with a friend. That's it."

"Oooh. You're friendzoning me, midnight?" He questioned with a chuckle. However he sensed the tension over the phone, "Sorry. I'll take what I can get."

"Thank you," she smiled. "I'll meet you there in 15 minutes."

~~~

She walked into the mystic grill scanning the room where she locked eyes with a certain hybrid at the bar who was with his brother. But before she could even smile at him, Clarke got up from the booth and blocked her view of Klaus.

"Hey, Beth," he smiled. "Sit down," he said directing her towards the same side of the booth as him.

"Thank you," before sitting down on the opposite side of the table. She could see the hurt and embarrassment in his eyes and felt a pang of guilt in her chest. "I'm sorry. I just think it's better this way."

"Whatever you say. You're the boss," Clarke laughed.

Beth could see Klaus still looking her way and what it seemed like he was getting made fun of by Kol. She did her best to ignore it though as they went on to order. However, before Clarke could finish his order, he received a text. He looked down at his phone with worry.

"I'm gonna have to cancel my order, he told the waiter who then looked at Beth.

"I'll keep mine," she said with a smile. The waiter nodded and headed towards the kitchen.