Chapter Forty-four

Chloe's P.O.V

I took in a deep breath and exhaled into the cool evening air. I walked inside of my dorm and got into the elevator. Excitement rushed through me. I was about to talk to Luke in just a few moments. I told him to meet me at my dorm, and even though I was a little late I hoped that he was still there waiting for me.

I opened my dorm door to see Hailee on the ground with her face buried in her arms. She was crying.

"Hailee what's wrong?" I asked frantically as I rushed to her. Something major must have happened to make Hailee cry. She never cried.

"Get the hell away from me!" she yelled.

I saw her glasses on the floor near her. I picked them up gently. "Hailee what's wrong? It isn't like you to–"

Hailee looked up from her arms, her face completely red. Tears were just pouring from her bloodshot eyes and she snatched her glasses away from my hands. "I hate you, Chloe," she said softly.

I tried not letting some things get underneath my skin, but this was something I couldn't overlook. Just from the way she said it seemed like she meant it. "You don't mean that Hailee," I said as I got closer to her. "Now tell me what's wrong? I'm sure whatever this is you can bounce back from. You're Hailee Macintyre after all," I smiled slightly.

"No, Chloe, you don't seem to get it," she wiped her face, her face twisting in anger. "I. Fucking. Hate. You."

I felt like I had just taken a bullet to the heart. She couldn't mean that. She was just really upset. The Hailee I knew was never like this.

"You don't seem to believe me, but trust me Chloe, I fucking hate you and I always have," she said. "Remember that time in fifth grade when you asked if Luke liked you or not?"

I nodded. I remembered it all too well. "I thought we discussed this–"

"Yeah well I made it up, Chloe," she sniffed. "It was all a fucking lie so that you could stop liking Luke because I liked him, too."

What? "Hailee why are you making things up–"

"I'm not making things up, Chloe," she cleared her throat. "The only time I will tell you the truth is right now. I made it all up to keep you and Luke apart."

I opened my mouth only to close it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did Hailee really make it all up? "Why would you say such a thing?" I asked, squatting down in the floor. "You don't really mean that–"

"Oh yes I do," Hailee said, wiping her nose. She slowly got off the floor, looking down at me with something I had never seen in her eyes: hatred. "What I don't understand is how...No...I won't even tell you that," she spat.

I stood up to face her. "What is your problem with me?" I asked, feeling myself tear up. This wasn't like Hailee to be like this. Why was she acting like this?

"I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO WANT TO BE YOU!" she yelled, pulling on her hair. "I'M RICH, I'M SKINNY, I'M BEAUTIFUL AND YOU'RE FAT, UGLY, AND YOUR EYES LOOK LIKE SHIT!"

My body started to shake, and my vision became blurry. "You can't mean that, Hailee," I said, my voice starting to crack. "You're my best friend, Hailee..." A tear rolled down my cheek.

"HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO FUCKING TELL YOU THAT I'M NOT?!" she yelled. At this rate someone was going to complain about the yelling in our dorm. "I FUCKING HATE YOU. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M GLAD I TOOK VALEDICTORIAN AWAY FROM YOUR FAT ASS! IT WAS QUITE EASY. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS GO INTO THE COUNSELOR'S OFFICE AND CHANGE MY GPA TO BE ONLY A HUNDREDTH OF A POINT ABOVE YOURS!"

My jaw dropped. I always thought she was rightfully valedictorian. I remembered her always saying that she thought it should have been me and I never believed her. She had been lying under my nose this entire time. This entire time. She manipulated me every which way she possibly could. I was her puppet–her toy.

"AND THE ONLY REASON I KEPT YOU AROUND WAS SO I COULD FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF!" Hailee clenched her small, bony fists.

"Hailee stop," I pleaded, my shoulders beginning to shake. "This is going way too far. I'm done playing this stupid game," I sniffed.

"THIS ISN'T A FUCKING GAME, CHLOE!" Hailee rolled her eyes. "NOW GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME BEFORE I DECIDE TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!"

"So our entire friendship was a lie?" I started to cry. "None of it was real?"

"NONE OF IT WAS NOW GET THE FUCK OUT!" she yelled.

I felt like I was deteriorating. I began crying so hard that I almost began to choke. I wished that I had never roomed up with Hailee. I wished that I never even came here to go to school. I regretted everything, and I needed to get out of here.