Chapter Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two

Hope And Fate.

Anna

Sliding out of the booth, I wave at Soph and she salutes me. I start heading to the haunted hayride until I spot the clown face in the distance.

I find Luke standing near it with one hand holding his lighter, flicking it on and off and the other is holding his phone. He can literally be picking up garbage and still look good. He's that level of good looking.

I tilt my head to the side and down, bending a bit to catch his gaze. The memory of Luke and I meeting back in Year four hits me and I find myself smiling as he finally notices me.

"Hi," I grin.

He smiles and chuckles. "Is that how you're going to say hi from now on?" He raises his head, putting his phone and his lighter away in his pocket and I raise my head as well too.

"Yup," I nod, then I spot a smudge on my eyeglasses and I take them off to clean them.

"You're going to faint one time," he tells me.

"I know," I answer, looking up at his blurry face. "Can you like stand a couple of steps back? I can't see you."

Luke steps back a bit and his face appears a bit again. "Hyperopia?" He questions

"I'm sorry?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Long-sightedness?" He corrects himself.

"Yes," I reply. "Don't make me feel like an idiot. That's different." I put my glasses back on.

"That you're failing and I'm not? It is," he agrees and I stick my tongue out at him. It's basically the only reply I have.

"Real mature," Luke gives me a dry look.

"Come on, idiot. Let's go inside," I grab his hand to drag him inside and the first thing that falls on us is darkness with only a couple of red lights. The place is cold, colder than the outside weather and I see a guy standing by a desk. We pay–no, Luke pays since he's the one who agreed on coming with me and who 'initiates; pays', so I let him pay for the ride.

The guy leads us to the carts and I take a seat beside Luke. "Put your seatbelts on and please keep your hands inside the cart," the guy monotones. Two guys take a seat in front of us and two girls sit in the cart behind us. I don't see who's sitting in the far front or far back because of the dark.

One of the guys in front of us turn and gives me a smirk, then he turns to his friend and whispers something to him. I raise an eyebrow in question when he stares at me again. "Um, is there something wrong?" I ask him.

"You're single, sweetcheeks?" He smirks, his eyes dropping down a bit, obviously where they're not supposed to drop. That's another reason why hoodies are useful.

"That's none of your damn business," Luke tells him, glaring. "Face forward or I will make you."

"Calm down, dude. He was just asking," his friend butts in.

"I was talking to him and don't tell me calm down, dude," Luke responds back in an annoyed tone and I place my hand on his arm, gesturing for him to calm down.