Chapter 14

THEA

The moment I mentioned the name, he hit the brake sharply. My body was leaned forward, lucky I had my seatbelt on. Arthur went rigid, his eyes widen slightly before a frown formed in his face.

"Who told you that?" He whispered, not looking at me.

My heart raced so fast. I didn't think he would react like this. I should've just kept my mouth shut.

"Did Lily tell you that?" this time, he looked over at me.

I gulped. "Please, don't be mad at her. She just mentioned her name, nothing else." I knew I lied to him, I just didn't want to drag Lily into this mess.

He didn't say anything, but his knuckles turned white as he gripped the steering wheel. I stayed silent, not daring to say anything else. We were in the middle of the road, not moving. I didn't know what was going on inside his head, but knew I was in a big trouble.

After a while, he let out a sigh then started driving again. I didn't dare to utter a word, I had done enough trouble for the both of us. The ride was quiet and awfully awkward, even the radio couldn't break the tension between us.

"Arthur, I'm sorry for asking." I didn't want him to be mad at me, or worse, I was scared he would be back to despise me.

He didn't bother to respond to my apology. He kept quiet, focusing on driving. I kept my mouth shut this time and let him cool down. Not long after that, the car stopped. I looked out the window only to realize we stopped in the middle of an unknown road.

"Arthur, where are we?" I turned to Arthur, who turned off the engine.

"Come on." was all he said before he got out of the car. I did as I was told and followed him, being clueless as to why we were here.

"Where are we going?" I whispered as I kept up with his speed. He didn't say anything. It was quite dark around us and I was slightly scared that some creepy creatures would attack us, don't mind my childish mind.

We kept walking until we reached a pond. I had no idea why we were here or why Arthur brought us here, but I hoped he was not planning to kill me and threw my body into the pond.

I was not ready.

"You're not gonna kill me, are you?" I couldn't help but asked. He looked over with an amused look but then looked away.

He looked out the pond that was surprisingly beautiful with its clear water, I could even see rocks underneath it. He didn't move, he just looked out, his back facing me.

"10 years ago I met a girl, whom I had no idea would become not just a part of my life, but also changed my life," he began, still looking at the pond. "She was that kind of person who made everyone around her happy, the kind of person who you enjoyed being around her. I never thought that one day, that girl would be mine. She was my first and everything. She changed my life."

I felt some sort of sadness, and hurt, to hear him speak so high about that girl.

"We went to school together. We spent most of the time together. We felt like the world was just ours. I learnt what love was. We were happy together. She was my first love, I was so in love with her that not even a day went in my life had I not wished to be her forever. And my wishes came true when she finally said yes to my proposal," again, my heart felt like it was stabbed by a very sharp thing. "Then it happened. The day of our wedding, she never came. I waited for her at the altar, waited to be her forever husband, but she never came. She never made it to the aisle. She just left, without me knowing what the hell was going on. She just disappeared with her family. I was left at the altar, by the girl who I thought would be my forever. And again, she changed my life."