Chapter 172

Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Two

Warmth.

Heat.

It coiled all around me, so tight that I couldn't help but feel blessedly warm and safe. I saw everything and nothing all at once as I lay in the embraces of the dragons keeping watch over me, guarding me from threats I couldn't see or fathom. They nuzzled me, like birds tending to their egg, checking to make sure I was properly cared for.

I was at peace.

I heard a voice somewhere far away, a familiar voice... my father's voice.

Ah... it really was my dad, I could hear him singing...

"Have faith... in your dreams... and someday... your rainbow will come smiling through..."

The voice echoed off into the void and something brushed everything that I was, a tender caress.

"Be still, La," a motherly voice soothed, vibrating my entire consciousness. "Be still and rest, Soft Heart, we here."

A question rose out of me, floating into my mind and taking shape outside of me, shape that both genies looked up at. It rippled like a bubble before fading away, wordless and formless, but full of thought and wonder and raw emotion. More thoughts bubbled away from me.

'Why do you care about me so much?'

'I'm not special. I don't deserve this.'

'Why are you so kind to me?'

'We only met that one time, for that one trip... why protect me?'

'What are you guarding me from?'

'Why do you care about me?'

But the thoughts and questions were blown away by the tip of a huge tail, slashing through the haze of infinity all around us. Ripples crested through the dream in a way that couldn't be seen or touched... ripples that were felt, which gave the illusion of the sight.

"We know all that was, is, and shall be," Anurak whispered into my ear, and a great tongue crested over my being, warming me and soothing me. "We know what you have been through as well as what you shall go through. We know your heart and mind inside and out. You are the first being in over ninety thousand years worthy of our protection and gifts."

"We know, la! What you will become," Feng-Feng sweetly added. "We know all."

"With our help now... you shall live a long, long, long and very beautiful life," Anurak continued, caressing my consciousness. "With help beyond, you and those you love will never come to harm. We have made it our mission to guide you."

I felt confused by their words and another question bubbled out of me.

'Why me?'

"Because you're worthy," Anurak whispered into my mind. "You are the embodiment of selfless love. In every millionth of a path that can be taken to the future, after seeing all the infinite possibilities you could ever take, you still end up sacrificing for others. In every single possible future your behavior is a constant. It's unlike anything we've ever seen."

A shiver went through me, making the dream flicker.

"Shhh, la-la,Mama Feng-Feng is here," his wife soothed, nuzzling me. "Poor baby... what you do without us to guide you down path to good happy? You much too sweet to leave alone."