Forty Six

Skylar's POV

When I woke up, I realized almost instantly that I couldn't move. Literally.

It took me a while to groggily open my eyes, glad that the curtains were closed and the sun wasn't being a bitch. Though when I tried rubbing the sleep off my eyes, I found my hands stuck under something heavy. A heavy arm draped over me--which, as I slowly grew more and more aware of my surroundings, belonged to Caden.

My back was pressed against his chest and I think my sleeping self didn't have any objections with him holding me so close. Because I'd just, I realised, woken up from  a really nice sleep. Not that my morning self had any objections either.

I squirmed a little and turned around slowly, facing him and swallowing in surprise when I found him so close. I was still finding that a little hard. Having him close.

I vaguely remembered having a huge amount of distance between us, on the bed, when we both got in last night. Caden had even promised me that he won't touch me--not that I made him promise that. I had no problem with it. Geez.

Waking up to this was totally the opposite though. And, I found myself thinking as I stared, he looked so much at peace when he was asleep. He'd looked so tired last night. Exhausted. I hoped he'd gotten a little bit of decent sleep throughout the night.

Now that my hands were a little free, I rubbed my eyes and let out a small yawn. Almost unconsciously, his grip tightened a little around my waist, pulling me closer. I watched as his brows furrowed into a frown, still asleep.

Was he having a nightmare? I stilled on my spot, staring. Was this the reason why it'd been so long since he had any proper sleep?

He was the last person though, who I'd expect to have nightmares. Everyone feared Caden Miller. He wasn't one to be easily approached. What could it be that he feared?

I blinked before slowly brushing my fingers on the side of his face. There was so much that I still didn't know about him. So much hidden in a mystery.

It was when I heard the house phone ringing downstairs, that I broke out of my thoughts. For a whole wide minute, I almost ignored it. But then I realised it must've been Mom or Dad, and if I didn't pick up the phone, I'd most probably be hearing a whole ass lecture about my sleeping schedule. Because it was way past noon right now and my family was a big box of morning sunshine.

All except for me, of course.

Cursing softly under my breath, I carefully managed to pry his arm off my waist and roll over. I stood up from the bed and glanced back at him, trying to fix my bedhead. He was frowning all right, his face now pressed up against my pillow, but still asleep. It took everything in me not to go back and curl up against him.

God, why had it felt so good?

Stifling the urge to grin widely like a pathetic fool, I walked downstairs and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Skylar, what took you so long?" Mom asked in an I-already-woke-up-hours-ago voice. "Were you still sleeping?"

"No, Mom," I grumbled. "I woke up like, hours ago. Already did my breakfast too. What's up?" I was trying my very best to sound cheerful right now.

"Nothing really. Except I was calling in to check if you really are not considering coming to the after-wedding party?" She asked.

"Nope. I'm fine where I am."

"You never really missed out on such parties, Sky." She pointed out.

For the same reason why I wasn't going.