Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Chapter Thirty-Four

IT STARTED OUT SMALL. On a simple live stream broadcasted from one of The Guise's social media accounts. But like wildfire, it began to spread. Suddenly, it was everywhere. All over social media. On every news channel. On every radio station. Riverside could not escape it. They never would be able to.

Hi. My name is Naomi Morgan and I need to clear the air. But before you start crying or calling 911, no, I'm not kidnapped. As you can see, I'm doing quite okay actually. But, I can understand how the kidnapping rumours started. It makes sense, I guess. Small town girl ends up with infamous rebels, something has to be wrong, right? But, maybe not. Maybe I've never been a small town girl and The Guise were never infamous rebels. I guess that's how people make us out to be, though. That's the box they put us in. Guess we've disappointed them.

But what's life without a little disappointment?

Anyway, I'm here to clear my friends' names. How the news has portrayed The Guise, over the past few days it's...it's just not right. Everything The Guise do, is to expose the truth. To make things we've shoved aside clearer so we can't ignore it anymore and are forced to do something about it. They would never hurt a fly, much less me.

I left my parents' home of my own free will and, as an adult now, I can do that. It was my decision. It wasn't an easy one easy but I did it because I needed to get away. Maybe, it was a mistake. Maybe my life will change and maybe, there will be pain and danger that will come to me soon. But, I can live with that. I can endure the consequences of my actions because for the first time, they are my actions. No one can take that from me.

So as of now. I'm clearing their names. There is no investigation. There is no witch hunt. There is nothing evil happening. I left. And I'm happy.

The Riverside Police Station was bustling. In went detectives and out went officers as their cyber-crimes unit worked overtime to trace the location of the livestream and everyone else examined the background of the video to judge where the broadcast might be coming from. The kidnapping case might have been weak now but The Guise was still wanted for multiple counts of vandalism and destruction of property. This was their biggest lead yet. Everyone wearing a badge took one big gulp of caffeine.

But, while I'm here, there are some other things that need to be said. Next week, The Guise and I will be leaving Riverside. I don't know when I'll ever see you guys again so, here goes.

To Mr Carson, thank you for teaching me way more than just routines and how to stay en pointe longer. You might be the strongest person I know and even though you exercised that strength on me sometimes, I'm tougher now for it.

Today was the day of the Prix de Ballet Competition but the Fox Performing Arts Centre was hushed into anticipation. Everyone was watching the livestream. Mr Carson didn't have the heart to look at the screen in his dressing room as he heard Naomi's voice surround him. But the silence outside his door and everywhere else in the goddamn building made her once soft voice so deafening. By then there was nothing he could do to stop the tears.

To Ben, you were the best friend I needed. I don't think many people have the privilege of knowing anyone like you. I don't think I could have survived being that unlucky. You get my jokes and you feel my pain but you're also wise enough to always give me advice when I need it. Thank you for providing a space where I could exist without any expectations. And I'm sorry I lied about the tape. I should have told you. Maybe things would be different now.

Ben's Equipment Story had always felt a little colder since Naomi Morgan left. Aspen would visit sometimes but she was only a reminder of what was obviously missing. So when Ben saw Naomi again, speaking to him gently from the old television propped up in his store, he supposed he suspected to feel a little bit better. And he did. For a moment. Then, he was crushed.

To Aspen, who would've thought, right? At first, you hated me and I guess I hated you too. But when everything began to fall a part for the both of us I think, we stood next to each other and didn't even realize we were each others' support. Thanks for being a friend when I was sure my luck was up on things like that. Also, your car smells like vanilla and jasmine.

Spending the previous night nursing her father's wounds, Aspen wasn't sure she could handle staring into any more deep gashes. But, at the worst possible moment, thirty minutes before she was supposed to hit the stage for Prix, she found herself staring into the biggest one yet. The phone fell from her hands and shattered on the floor. She knew immediately, she could not set foot on that stage.

Dad, you used to be my hero. But I guess no one is ever who you need them to be.

Mr Morgan felt his heart deflate like a fluttering, lost, aired-out balloon.

Mom, thank you for never turning your back on me. For healing me. For trying to understand me even when we both knew you never could. Your resilience is, I didn't know till now, hereditary. And I love you for it.

Mrs Morgan felt herself scatter in her own living room. The floor ready to give way from underneath her.

Will, be strong. We've come pretty far together but I think I've given you everything you could have ever needed from me. You're stronger than you even realize. Anyway, I love you always and I'm proud to be your big sister. Every time you need me, I'll be next to you. You have my orphan oath.

There were not many things William Morgan cried for these days. He didn't cry when Sebastian used to make the area around his eye bright purple. He didn't cry when his parents never took the time to realize it. And he especially didn't cry at night when he was at home sitting in his sister's otherwise empty bedroom before drifting off to sleep on her bed. But this, this was something even angels would cry for.

And finally, for anyone else that might be watching this right now, put your energy into something more important, please. In California, there are thousands of kids living on the street who need our help. Families that are falling apart. People who have no one else to turn to. But, the longer we pretend like we're perfect, the more people we put to die. The Guise is trying to help you realize that. Take heed. Things must get bad before they ever get better. Goodbye.

Author's Note

Well damn, hit that vote button if you felt that.

This week's dedication goes to someone who has been SO supportive and reads chapter after chapter, Dancing_Angel88! Thank you so much for ALWAYS voting and being on top of everything I put out. You're amazing and I love you. Remember readers, if you vote and comment the next dedication could be you!

So things are really winding down here. In fact, we only have two chapters left! What are your expectations for the finale? Let me know in the comments so we can talk!

 In fact, we only have two chapters left! What are your expectations for the finale? Let me know in the comments so we can talk!

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

"You did it..."