Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Sam

He was standing with immaculate posture, his hands neatly pulled behind his back, wearing a look I hadn’t seen on his face since the first time I kissed him. The first time I got him to feel something.

He looked emotionless. Indifferent.

“D-Damien?” I asked, my voice even more hoarse and softer than before. “What’s going on?”

A burst of maniac laughter behind me had me gulping with terror.

I didn’t even turn around when I heard him get off his seat. I stared straight ahead, my eyes boring into Damien’s detached ones.

I shivered when I felt his breath on my neck.

“Oh we’re going to have fun with you.”

I slammed my eyes shut, praying this was only just a terribly horrible dream and that I would wake up in Damien’s arms and he would be smiling and everything would be fine.

But when I opened my eyes, he wasn’t smiling.

“Dame?” I tried again, my voice and stare pleading. But he was unmovable. Suddenly the loud clanging of metal on metal behind me had me whipping around to see the doors now bolted shut cutting off any potential escape.

“Oh this is just adorable!” the boy exclaimed from my side, the surprise of his voice and proximity of his hot breath and sarcasm making my stomach drop. “Nicknames and ‘I loves you’s?” I felt my face turn hot at the reference to my call from earlier. Of course it wasn’t Damien on the phone. And of course Dame didn’t even flinch at the mention of the three words. “I knew Damien was a good actor,” he went on. “But I didn’t know he was that good!”

My heart stopped beating.

Actor?

Damien was acting?

He stepped out from behind me and latched his hooded eyes onto mine, sticking out his hand.

“I’m Darius, by the way. Damien’s older brother. It’s great to finally meet you.”

He was scrawny and too bitterly sarcastic for my liking. His hands shook as he spoke and his curious orange orbs were deathly frightening if you looked into them for too long.

Instead of taking his hand, I glanced over my shoulder at Damien, the word actor pulsating through my brain uncontrollably.

He still looked impassable, his lips sealed in a straight line. I did notice one thing though. The small jerking movement of his wrists told me he was wringing his hands out behind his back; something I had never seen him do before in my life.

Deep breaths Sam. He doesn’t know what he’s taking about. He’s insane.

The faint possibility that Darius is just a mentally fragmented liar was the only thing that kept me from breaking down into tears. But the heavy breathing of Darius, the dead stare of Dame, and the rapidly beating heart of Mason still had my head spinning.

“Just tell me what the hell you want from me, let Mason go,” I demanded, the confusing jumbling in my mind escaping as a forceful command.

Darius chuckled, taking a few steps towards me. “We can’t do that Sammy,” he said in a sickly sweet tone that made me want to barf, the nickname not seeming so entrancing any longer. “Otherwise,” he continued, taking a final step so he was only an arms-width from me. “We wouldn’t have any leverage, my sweet.” And with his final words he reached up and delicately ran his fingers along my jaw line, making my nose wrinkle with disgust. I wretched myself away from his touch and he grinned in response.