Chapter Five

My stomach rumbled. It was time to find something to eat. I peeked through the living room's window and noticed that Mom's car was gone.

Still hungry, I made my way to the kitchen. There was a small teapot on the stove, and after taking a look at the fridge, I realized there wasn't anything to eat. I checked the cabinets and found a bunch of old tea bags, in there but I hated tea. It always reminded me of my mother, and those Tuesday afternoons where we would meet for tea and biscuits, something that reminded Mom of her home. It was once every week and it was a special time just to catch up and be together. When she left, I couldn't drink tea without remembering her, so I switched to coffee. Now coffee had become part of my morning ritual, and I couldn't start the day without it.

The sound of tires over gravel meant my Mom had returned. Minutes later the front door opened, and she walked inside with two plastic bags in each hand. When our eyes met, she gave me a small smile, and my heart clenched in response. I missed her so much. But it was her choice to leave and move on with her life.

"Did you rest well?" She asked.

I started to take out the things out of one of the bags in silence. Lettuce, tomatoes, ham, and cheese. "I did." I almost said thanks, but remembering my anger kept my mouth shut.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes," I admitted, putting the cereal in the tea cabinet.

"I can make you a sandwich, if you like?"

"I can make my own sandwich. Thank you." I grabbed the bread, ham and cheese and started assembling it. As I worked on it, she placed a plate in front of me. I hated the awkwardness in the air, but I just didn't know how to act around her.

She finished putting away everything she bought. "There's hot water in the teapot—"

"Thanks, but I hate tea," I said.

"Look, Emily, I know you're angry, but you don't understand what happened."

I pushed the plate away from me. "You're right. I don't. Because you never explained it to me. You just left..." My voice trembled with emotion as I gazed at my hands. "And you didn't let me talk to you for months. You hurt me." I met her gaze, and my chest constricted. Her eyes brimmed with tears, matching my own.

She touched her neck. "I'm so sorry, Emily."

"Yeah," I sniffed. "You are three years late." I stared at the ceiling, trying to keep the tears at bay. I needed air. "I need coffee." I lied.

Mom tried to reach out to me. "Em..."

I didn't want to cry in front of her, so I shook my head and backed a step. "I'm going out." I said before I bolted out of the house as fast as I could. I followed the path in forceful strides. It was only when the house was far from sight when I let the tears roll out.

So much for letting her talk and turn the page. But, I needed to let her know that she hurt me. So much. A part of me felt bad for leaving like that, but even though I wanted to know why she left, I was also afraid. I used to think that maybe I had done something wrong, something that made her give up on being my mother. And, after Sam cheating on me... I didn't know if I could handle it right now. If it was my fault, then there must be something really wrong with me. And what if that was the case? I didn't know what I would do...

Cold breeze nipped my skin, and goose bumps formed on my arms. I left in a hurry, and I didn't have anything warm to cover me. The English weather was much cooler than L.A. I didn't want to go back home yet, so I kept walking. The path had to take me somewhere. I inhaled the clean air from the countryside and concentrated on the beautiful sight before me. Tall trees stood at the side of the road forming an arch from one side to the other. They were green as it was summertime and the chirping sound of the birds brought me a sense of calm.