11

Everett pulled himself to a sitting position and swung his legs over the side of the bed. His stomach was full of knots at the thought he might have said something to upset Pegleg. It wasn't like her to leave that way, sounding like she might burst into tears at any moment.

Pressing his feet flat against the hardwood floor, he grabbed his cane with newfound determination. Then he took a deep breath and slowly stood.

His cut-off union suit bottoms hung low on his hips, a silent testament to how much weight he'd lost. Pulling them up, he tightened the makeshift drawstring. It would not do to have the entire hospital see his wobbly bits in the event this all went pear-shaped again.

While keeping most of his weight off his right leg, Everett took his time figuring out how to position his cane for support before attempting his first tentative step.

He held his right arm aloft for balance and to help feel for any obstacles in his path. Then he took another step, and another, until he'd made it to the opposite side of his small room and touched the plaster wall.

"Why, Captain Rattlesnake," Pegleg softly said from the doorway, "I believe you just proved yourself wrong."

Everett carefully turned toward the direction her voice came from. He fought the urge to apologize for whatever he might have said or done earlier that had upset her.

She entered the room, her tap tap tap marking her progress toward him until she stood in front of him, smelling like fresh air and sunshine mingled with her vanilla and rose scent. "Now, what do you plan on doing?" She asked.

He reached out toward her, bumped her arm, and followed it down until he found her hand. "Care to go for a real short walk with me?"

"Lead the way," she said, looping his right arm around her shoulders and snuggling tight to his side.

Goosebumps erupted, and delicious shivers raced up and down his spine at the contact. Despite knowing he shouldn't, but tired of fighting against the need to touch and be near her, Everett leaned on her for support. "Allowing me to navigate in my current state, Pegleg? I must warn you there's an excellent chance I may guide us into a wall."

She laughed, squeezing his hand, "Never fear, Captain, I enjoy living dangerously."

A delighted chuckle escaped him, and when she settled her other hand around his waist, Everett's heart thumped a mad dance at her nearness.

His wounds were healing nicely, and the bandages covering his chest had lessened, leaving the majority of his torso exposed to her pleasant touch.

She was stronger than she seemed. That much became apparent by her arm muscles flexing against his back to help him keep his balance.

When they were only two steps away from his bed, his leg faltered. But without hesitation, Pegleg dropped her walking stick and wrapped her arms around him, bracing him up while he tried to catch his balance.

Everett held her tight to his chest, as much to help him thwart gravity as for the simple pleasure of finally having her fully in his arms.

"Oh, heavens," Elyria gasped, her lips smooshed against his chest, "for a minute there, I thought we were goners." She adjusted her hold on him and gripped the waistband of his underwear, then pulled away slightly. Her forehead brushed his chin when she tilted her face and asked, "Are you all right?"

Slowly, he nodded. He couldn't care less about the aching discomfort he suffered at the moment. All that mattered right then was Pegleg—and the overwhelming need to know what she looked like.

Every night, his dreams were of her, the only woman able to soothe the pain clear down to his soul. It didn't matter if she was a beauty; he just wanted to be able to put a face to his dreams.