12

"Tabitha informed me you had a bit of a mishap earlier today, Captain," Nurse Winters stated, marching into the room.

Elyria covered her mouth, still tingling from the Captain's kiss, and swallowed. All the blood drained from her face, leaving her lightheaded.

How had she not heard the woman's heavy-footed approach? Her eyes widened in terror at the thought Nurse Winters may have seen them kissing. What would she do if she had?

"I fell, yes," the Captain said, "I thought you would have expected that to happen."

"Not if you'd allowed Nurse Bixely to do her job."

"Who?"

Elyria cleared her throat and answered softly, "Tabitha."

"Miss Ormond," Nurse Winters said. Her voice dripped with barely concealed venom as she turned to face Elyria. "I'd like to have a word with you in my office, if I may."

"Yes, Head Nurse," Elyria took a few steps and stopped. Where was her walking stick? Panic engulfed her, made all the worse when Nurse Winters suddenly shoved it into her hands.

"In. My. Office. Miss Ormond," Nurse Winters gritted out through clenched teeth.

Elyria nodded and walked from the room, doing her best to remain calm. And failing miserably. Nurse Winters excused herself and followed close behind.

It became one of the longest walks of Elyria's life. The only thing missing was the accompaniment of dark, heavy music to punctuate the gravity of impending doom. They wound through the corridors—each step growing louder, sounding more like a death march until they arrived.

Nurse Winters stepped around her and opened the door. "Inside. If you please."

Elyria entered, jumping slightly when the door slammed shut behind her, causing the walls to tremble. Dear heavens. Nurse Winters was furious. Elyria forced a nervous swallow down her too-tight throat and waited.

A sense of impending doom permeated the room, leaving no doubt in her mind that whatever Nurse Winters planned to say, it couldn't possibly be good.

"Let me first begin," Nurse Winters intoned like an executioner reading a death sentence to a prisoner, "by offering my sympathies and condolences for your recently departed brother."

Elyria blinked. Such a beginning from the famously cold and aloof Head Nurse could never have been expected.

"Thank you," she relaxed her shoulders. Perhaps this confrontation wouldn't be so terrible.

"However," Nurse Winters continued, much to Elyria's dismay, "A death in the family does not give you permission nor the luxury to overlook your duties for an entire week here at the hospital. We are at war, Miss Ormond. Death happens every day."

Elyria clenched her bottom lip between her teeth to still the unavoidable trembling that beset her at the thought of Stephen. Tears stung her eyes, but she refused to allow them to fall and bowed her head, "Yes, Head Nurse."

"Furthermore, while the Major and I were willing to overlook your unauthorized absence, we simply cannot turn a blind eye to what transpired earlier today between you and Captain Monterose." Nurse Winters paused, and her tone had a steely edge as she continued, "You're fortunate his fall did not result in more harm to his person. He should have been supervised by one of the trained staff—as he was before your arrival today."

"May I explain?"

"There's no point now that your time here has come to an end."

Elyria's heart jumped to her throat, and her stomach churned. Denials screamed within her brain, but instead, she fought for composure and said," It has?"

"Most assuredly." Nurse Winters let out a heavy sigh, not even bothering to hide her relief and what Elyria could only describe as delight, and continued, "While we applaud your willingness to serve, the Major and I both agree that perhaps your... talents and desire to aid in the cause... would be better suited to a different atmosphere than that of a hospital."

"I see."

Nurse Winters clucked her tongue and adjusted her seat, making her chair squeak in protest. "If only that were the case. You could have done so much good here if not for your... shortcomings."

Elyria had come to expect such harsh words from the hateful, insensitive woman. But she stood there, stunned, unsure how to respond or what to do.

"Now, if you'll please collect your belongings and leave the establishment, Miss Ormond," Nurse Winters murmured. "We may put this unpleasantness behind us, and all go on with our lives."

"May I say my goodbyes to the Captain before I go?" Elyria forced out past numb lips, wondering how she remained upright when the room had fallen out from under her.

"No. You may not."

Elyria blinked several times." Why?"

Nurse Winters slammed her hands on her desk, making Elyria jump. "Because, as I told you before, your time here has ended, and Captain Monterose will be discharged today. The last thing I need before he departs is another of his dramatic outbursts due to any theatrics on your end."

Elyria's heart clenched. He was leaving, never to be near her again. She'd known it would eventually happen, but so soon? And without her being able to speak to him one last time? He would return to his old life and forget all about her and the magical kiss they'd just shared.

If it was possible for a heart to whither and yet allow its owner to remain standing, then surely it had just happened to her.

"MISS ORMOND," Nurse Winters barked. She stomped to the door and pulled it open. "You're still here."

Elyria turned to face her and blinked, not even caring that the action released the tears she'd been holding at bay. Intending to leave, she tightened her grasp on her walking stick and took a few steps toward the door. But then she stopped mid-stride.

A tidal wave of all-consuming anger rushed through her veins. It fortified her as a retort perched on the tip of her tongue, waiting to be loosed.

She hesitated for the briefest of moments, unsure if she should be worried that what she wanted to say might be proof Captain Rattlesnake had rubbed off on her. However, in the end, it didn't stop her. "You are a horrid woman."

Nurse Winters sputtered in outrage, but before she could make a coherent reply, Elyria continued, "I may be blind, but it doesn't mean I can't see you for the spiteful, condescending, and intolerant person you are." She paused, her voice trembling and thick with emotion, "I pity you." And without another word, she left.