19

Everett glanced at the address typed neatly on the creased envelope in his grasp, then at the number carved into the lintel above the door. The numbers matched, which meant only one thing—he'd reached his destination.

The line of row houses reminded him of book spines on a library shelf, each with individual eccentricities and yet all complimentary Victorian styles of architecture.

Despite their glaring differences, each home sported the same dark green front door in an act of solidarity. But number 224 was different because it belonged to her. Butterflies swarmed within his belly, and excitement electrified his limbs at the thought of his dear Pegleg—Elyria, he must remember to call her Elyria.

He probably should have waited for her response before spending the past two days on a train. That would have been the sensible thing to do.

But the waiting had become intolerable, and it didn't matter that her reply might arrive the day he'd left.

If he were honest, he couldn't remember when he'd acted sensibly in the past several months—not where Pegleg was concerned. No doubt, Marcus would agree.

So here he stood, staring at her front door, counting the eight stone steps looming before him and groaning in dismay. He glanced down at his cane and wondered if it was long enough to allow him to knock on the door while he remained on ground level. Probably not.

Suddenly, the front door opened.

"Hello!"

Everett snapped to attention and locked eyes with a smiling little brown-haired girl who couldn't have been more than the age of seven. He frowned. Where the deuce had she come from?

Glancing around, he confirmed he hadn't moved from where he'd stood just seconds ago.

Perhaps he had the wrong door?

"Hello?" He turned his attention to the number on the lintel while trying to reconcile it with the little girl standing before him.

"I was watching you through the window."

Everett bit back a mortified smile. "You were?"

"Yep," She chirped with a nod. "I was pretending to be a princess locked in a tower guarded by an evil dragon. Are you lost?"

He was beginning to think so. "I might be."

"Oh no," she cried, her face filling with a look of pure heartbreak for a brief moment before brightening into a hopeful grin. "I bet my mama can help. She's ever so good at finding things."

He smiled. "Does a woman by the name of Elyria Ormond reside here?"

"Anne," A familiar voice called from inside the home before the little girl could reply.

Everett tried to see beyond to find the woman talking but saw only darkness. Where did he know that voice from?

A little closer yet still hidden from view, she asked, "What are you doing with the door open, darling?"

Anne turned slightly and shouted over her shoulder, "THERE'S A MAN, MAMA. He's looking for Auntie El."

"What have I told you about answering the door yourself? You know you're to get either your daddy or me."

Anne rolled her eyes and shrugged.

A moment later, the woman stood behind Anne with a look of polite reserve. "May I help... you—" her eyes slowly widened with recognition, and she gasped, "Captain Monterose?"

He frowned. There was most definitely a familiarity about the woman with honey-colored hair that pricked at foggy memories of his past.

"Anne, go inside and watch William, please." She stepped around her daughter, never taking her eyes from Everett's.