23

They stood in the shelter of the massive weeping willow. The very same tree Anne had mentioned earlier that day to be her Auntie El's favorite spot. Its long branches swayed gently in the breeze and offered a modicum of privacy, creating a haven.

Everett closed his eyes, giving himself over to the rightness of the moment. He'd dreamt of this, pined for it with alarming desperation, and still, it didn't compare to the reality of finally having her back in his arms.

"I can't believe you're really here with me," He breathed, pressing his lips to her forehead.

Cradling her face in his hands, he planted soft little kisses along her cheeks and tipped her chin up as he bent his head. Their breath mingled in soft gasps of anticipation.

His left hand trembled at her waist, so he clenched her dress in his fist and pulled her closer.

The erratic thump of his heart rang loudly in his ears as he buried his fingers in her thick, wavy hair.

He wanted to take this slow, to savor the moment and draw it out. But after he bent his head and settled his lips on hers in a gentle kiss, Elyria moaned softly and moved her right hand to the back of his neck, pressing his lips more firmly to hers.

At that precise moment, he ignored and quickly forgot all intentions he had of unhurried exploration. Everett kissed her with a voracious hunger. She gasped against his mouth, curling her arms around his neck, and clung to him.

He took full advantage of her parted lips, helpless and buffeted against the waves of desire crying out to be sated.

Arms that had ached from months of loneliness were at last able to clasp around the woman who had come to mean the world to him, and he never wanted to let go.

His mouth devoured hers, demanding a response which she eagerly gave. Then his lips left hers, tasting her skin as he trailed kisses along her jaw and neck to her collarbone.

But he needed to get a hold of himself and slow down; if not, he worried he might frighten her. "Wait—"

"Is something wrong," she panted, resting her hands on his chest.

"No," He groaned with a shake of his head and a quick kiss to her lips. For the first time in his life, everything was exactly right. And he didn't want to ruin it.

Keeping a firm hold on her hand, Everett directed her back to his rented car and helped her inside.

After closing her door, he squeezed his eyes shut and took a ragged breath before going to his side to climb in beside her. The wisest thing for him to do right then would be to take her home.

His self-control around Elyria was weak at best. But despite the noblest of intentions, a problem remained. He didn't want to be wise, and he definitely didn't want to be away from her. "I should drive you home."

He expected her to quietly agree with him. Or murmur something that he would then assume meant she agreed. What he did not expect was for her to say, "Do you have to?"

"No," he whispered, staring at her and reminding himself to keep his hands planted firmly on the steering wheel. Otherwise, he'd be tempted to pick up where they'd left off. Then, finally, he forced a swallow down a suddenly tight throat and asked, his voice hoarse, "What would you rather do?"

She scooted closer and turned to face him, "Talk?"

"About what?" He whispered, simultaneously relieved and disappointed.

Her lips curled in an alluring smile. "It doesn't matter, but I'm not ready for this night to end yet."

He relaxed his grip on the steering wheel and let out a deep breath. "Alright, you first... ask me anything."